Verona - an unexpected bonus

Verona Travel Blog

Porta Nuova

An hour and a half later I stepped off the train in Verona, with no idea of what was to happen next,apart from I had to get to Brenner

Originally intended arriving here ater midnight and almost straight out again on connecting train. However after looking at the departures board I was going to be here for two and a half hours. No matter where I am I always like to try and go and have a look about, so I tentatively set off in the direction of the town centre. There being no indication of how far it was I would have to be careful to allow time to get back.

The first thing I came to was the actual Porta Nuova, which is now stuck out in the middle of the main road.

Tower in the distance
I carried on down the street and could see a tower, so I thought I could risk going that far. Got there and found the tower formed part of the old walls and there was part of what would have been the gates of the city.

Edging on there looked a nice square, and when I went through the gates it opened up to be full of remarkable buildings including the Roman Arena, which is used as part of the Opera Festival held in Verona every year. Still concious of the time I could still see more interesting things in the skyline and went down a small street. Got to the bottom of it a nd found myself in the Piazza Erbe, again full of great stuff. Time was up though, I had already gone over the half way mark and was going to have to push it harder to make it back up to the station.

Still on the way back to the station I couldn't help but get caught up and have to take more pictures, but made it back to the station with time to spare, but not much. Looking at the detail on the departure board this was going to be a snail train, stopping at 'tutti stazione' :-O

Verona came as a surprise to me, a nice one, and with limited time and no research I missed out on plenty, but it was really nice and very relaxed. Only about an hour away from Venice by train, and well worth stopping off if you are ever headed there. You'll be able to plan it much better than I did :-D

Tower
Piazza Erbe
Piazza Erbe
Sundown
Sundown
Strange statue of a topless guy wi…
Strange statue of a topless guy w…
Nude man,woman and baby statue