Stuttgart - game on

Stuttgart Travel Blog

Stuttgart U-Bahn

A two hour journey from Schaffhausen and I finally arrived in Stuttgart. Phoned a mate and arranged to meet them down at a bar in the Schlossplaz later. I was staying in a different hotel that night, until my other mate arrived on the Wednesday. Took the U-Bahn out and checked in and then headed out straight away. For a relitavely small city it does have a really good public transport system,with the U-Bahn (basically trams that go underground in the city centre) having about 15 different lines,and the S-Bahn (more a suburban rail network) having another 6 lines.

The main street in Stuttgart, Konigstrasse, runs from the main station (Hauptbahnhof) and down through the Schlossplaz.

Schlossplaz at night
For anyone arriving in to the town there is a very big tourist information office at the corner of Konigstrasse up next to the train station

The last time I was in Stuttgart it was just a day trip, and I never made it past the Schlossplaz. Decided this time to get around a bit more and take a few photos before hitting the pub. Not really a great deal to see in Stuttgart, but it all looked nice all lit up at night. Most of it is all down close to the Schlossplaz which is the main square area of the town, so I didn't have far to go to meet my mates.

They were already sitting at a table outside and I went in and ordered a large beer when the waitress came over. She came back with a 4l stein :-) We headed down to the Soild Rock Cafe where a few more Bears were gathering, but having been on the go all day,and staying a bit out of the city centre, decided to head a bit earlier and went back up to the Hauptbahnhof to get the U-Bahn back to the hotel.

Fountaina at night

Moved hotel early next morning and met my mate there. Thought it best to delay starting the beer to early if we were wanting to see the game that night ;-). Wandered round the town for a while, but eventually the draw of the Schlossplaz proved to much. It was a lot busier today, with a number of day trip flights having arrived,as well as supporters buses and those whose travel plans had stopped short of Stuttgart the night before ( a lot had stopped in Frankfurt). It was a lovely warm sunny afternoon and by the time evening came there were about 3000 there.

By then of course one of the usual past times of filling the local fountains with washing powder/liquid had taken place. Later found out one of the boys doing it had been lifted by undercover police, taken back to his hotel to get his passport to prove his identity and been fined   €300 :-O

We headed up to the stadium, now called the Mercedes-Benz Arena, early on the U11 line, before it started getting busy, as there are fan zones up by the ground where you can get food and beer.

Bottom of Sclossplaz
It was soon time for the main event and we headed into the ground.

As a game we were well out of it in the first half, and trailed 1-0 at half time. Came back stronger in the 2nd half and grabbed a late equaliser which meant it was a terrific result for us away from home. After the game we went back round to one of the bars that form part of the stadium. It was packed with Stuttgart fans , but we were made more than welcome and spent a long time discussing the game with some of their fans. To long :-D, by the time we came out the U-Bahn had stopped running and we had to get a taxi back to the hotel.

A few other Rangers fans were kicking about in the hotel bar and we joined them. strange bar that only sold spirits, beer you had to get in bottles from a vending machine in the foyer.

Night View
Had a couple and then hit the sack.

My mate was flying back to Heathrow at 7am and I never even stirred when he was leaving at 5 o'clock in the morning. Checked out and stolled back into the centre of town. Decided to head out to the airport early with my two other mates, they were going back to Glasgow via Amsterdam, and I sat about the airport for a while waiting for a flight to London Stanstead.

Statue on column