Not A Sight I See Every Day :-)

Schaffhausen Travel Blog

Old Tower

Small town on the Swiss/German border, and would probably have tagged it into one of the other parts but for the bit at the end.

Took just 45 minutes to get here from Zurich, and just before we got into town went past the Rheinfallen Waterfall,which had a nice looking bridge jsut above it. I then had just 55 minutes to wait on my connection to Stuttgart. Still, as always, my curiosity about places got the better of me and I decided I would go out and have a look about.

Just up from the station was an old tower so I headed for that and then thought I would take a stroll down the streets to the centre of town. Some really nice fountains, but decided I would try and make it down to the river.

Man With A Pike Fountain
While walking I caught sight of the Munot, a fortress sitting on top of the hill.

Got down to the river, and there was no sign of any way to the Rheinfallen, but there were river cruises heading up the way. Concious of the time I headed back up but decided to still try and find the Munot. Found a sign that pointed up some steep steps and headed up. It was a killer of a climb,as I had my backpack on, but great view.

Again though I had pushed it to the limit and had to leg it back up to the station,as it would be another two hours until the next train to Stuttgart. Made it back with 10 minutes to go :-) and went over to the platform the train would depart from.

I was sitting on one of the benches,catching my breath, when the guy next to turned and said 'Zeppelin' and looked up to the sky. I followed his gaze and there sure enough flying above the station was a Zeppelin, not the blimp types you get used by TV covering games but a REAL one :-D.

Impressed me anyway :-)