I set foot in South Africa

Johannesburg Travel Blog

Rainy evening

From Kenyatta to Jo’burg I flew by Kenya Airline and half emptied seats in 3 hours before midnight. Upon arriving at OR Tambo Airport I was scared to know the airport pick up that arranged earlier was not there. Earlier I made reservation for the hostel to pick me up and they confirmed to be at info desk just beside arrival gate. I was approached by 2 men from the hostel or so that I thought. They approached me and said "I’m from your hostel to Jo’burg" but they didn’t have my name. So I showed them my reservation and they (apparently) called the number and put the mobile into my ears, meaning they are real and not scam.

I felt uneasy about it so I left them. How come you didn’t have any info about me and claim that you supposed to pick me up. They realized that their tactic fail so didn’t bother to convince me after. This scam is more ‘give it a shot tactic’.
Mr Mandela bridge, Johannesburg

Luckily the information counter was there to help and they called the Hostel asking where the driver was. All the sudden there was a guy came up from behind looking for Amin Yunus. The information lady at the counter had a talk with the driver since this could be a problem if I have had fall for the scam earlier. Mousa the driver from the hostel didn’t have my name either but he knows the name of the passenger. The airport was 25 km from city center. The hostel was spacious and there was no other guest. A week before there was a lot.

Arriving at midnight and only had couple hours sleep, I wanted to go to Kruger National Park for a daytrip. But that’s just a ridiculous idea. Visiting world’s famous wildlife park the size of Wales for a day is totally crazy so I changed my mind to Pilanesberg Game Reserve. The Big Five game ie LION, ELEPHANT, CAPE BUFFALO, LEOPARD and RHINOCEROS can be seen in Pilanesberg Park nowadays. The Game reserve located about 80 km Northeast of Jo’Burg. On the way I’ve seen a glimpsed of Johannesburg.

www.travbuddy.com
zaidmo says:
Hey - sorry that u had these people try to scam you.
South Africa is really a great country except for a few opportunists.
I hope you get a chance to visit our country again.
Perhaps stay in Sandton on your next visit.
Posted on: Jul 03, 2010
herman_munster says:
I need to be savvy at all time anywhere otherwise I won't alive till today.
Posted on: Mar 13, 2010