It was windy, but the beach is the beach and I got a tan after all :)

Manta Travel Blog

first cebiche
We woke up around 8:30am and decided to go out for a walk and get breakfast at the Malecon, there are many restaurants there. From Roger's house to the Malecon it was a 15min walking along the beach, very nice! Beach was quiet and it wasn't too hot. Great!

Most of the restaurants at the Malecon serve seafood and cebiche. Not a typical breakfast, but when you are traveling nothing can be typical, hehehe. Rogert got garlic calamari, Shawn got... I don't remember!, and I got a shrimp cebiche, hehehe. Well, it's not as good as the Peruvian, but the shrimps in Ecuador are big and delicious.  So now, Ecuadorian adventure was really starting.

After our late breakfast, it was almost 11 when we left the place, we went to check our reservations for driving back to Guayaquil.
Gunther's look!
Roger went back home, while Shawn and me went to the mall. His internet wasn't working and while we were there we'd check what was going on in the movies. We'd come back later. We also went to the store and got a mini grill. Roger would need it for tomorrow, yummy! Oh! there's where we saw it for first time. There was a cakes' stand in the mall and Shawn saw a very good looking pineapple cake, but we didn't buy it. We were full, but kept that image in our mind.

We came back home, the 3 of us would go to the beach. While I was getting ready I felt that somebody was coming closer. Then I turned around and saw a strange version of Gunther. Was that my imagination? No, it was Shamus, Hazel's dog. He's an Irish terrier and has the same look as Gunther, well similar.
My baby!!! I miss him!!!

Then the 3 of us went to the beach. It got sunnier and I'd be able to get a tan, yay! While we were walking I started to feel that it got windier, mmm. Maybe that's just my idea, but when we arrived to the malecon, OMG! It was really windy! Nevermind, I'll survive. Anything for the tan! Roger and Shawn went to swim while I was fighting against the wind, hehehe. Although I was listening to my iPod I could hear the wind more than the waves...

It didn't take long until the guys came back. The 3 of us were just chilling out there. We didn't have proper lunch. Instead we had beer, hehehe. I was just drinking it, when I saw a man selling snacks. Mmm, I wasn't really hungry, but was intrigued about the local snacks. I decided to buy one of each just to try, hehehe.
We would share them :)

We got the: Corviche, which is made of fish and the Maduro, which is fried plantain. The corviche was ok, but didn't have much flavor and the Maduro was sweet. I liked it. Well, that snack was more than perfect. It was getting a bit late, better hurry up going back home, so we'd be ready on time for the movies.

The film was a good one and we had the movie theater just for us! When they turned on the lights, we were the only people there :P  Before leaving the mall, we went to the supermarket and got some groceries for the next day. Nobody wanted to cook tonight, so we'd have dinner somewhere. Well, Shawn was the birthday boy and he wanted to try a place that serves wings. Yes, so local, hahaha.

We arrived to this place.
at the hamburger place
It was a small but nice restaurants and the menu was about wings. We got a 10 pieces portion with 2 different sauces. It was good and I was saying that it was so bad we didn't try the other place they were talking about and Roger and Shawn said that wings were just the appetizer. They weren't dinner, hahaha. I forgot who I was with, hahaha.

There's a guy who sells hamburgers in Manta. What is it so special about him? Well, the hamburgers are very tasty, but he also makes hamburgers of shrimp and ostrich. So we'd try it. It's located in a corner, nothing pretentious at all. Just a stand with a grill and some benches for the customers. Well, this place is famous among the locals and you have to arrive early if you want to find some food. I don't eat hamburgers, so I ordered the chicken pincho (skewer).
it was hot!
Just grilled chicken, yummy! Roger and Shawn got the cheese burger, but also ordered 1 shrimp burger to try. They splitted it and I also gave it a bite. It was tasty, but I don't think I'd eat the whole.

The aji (spicy dip) they had there was a very good one, of course they didn't want to tell us they secret, hahaha. The owner of the place is the cook and is really friendly, although he's super busy. After a delicious comfort food and a beer we started to walk back home. It was almost 10pm when we arrived. It wasn't late, but we had a long day. So after chilling out and watch a bit of tv, we went to sleep. Tomorrow somebody had birthday :)
yadilitta says:
yes, I think you are right. Crab was out of season... I didn't take pictures, maybe I was sleeping, hehehe.
Posted on: Sep 21, 2009
geerbox says:
I think I had a cebiche mixto (without blank clams) at Oh Mar for breakfast because I ordered a crab cebiche but they didn't have it.
Didn't you take pictures???? you're slipping :P
Posted on: Sep 20, 2009
Gunthers look!
Gunther's look!
the Malecon
the Malecon
the mall
the mall
Shamus - he reminded me about Gunt…
Shamus - he reminded me about Gun…
chilling out
corviche and salad
corviche and salad
the Maduro - fried plantain
the Maduro - fried plantain
the wings: garlic and hot fajita :)
the wings: garlic and hot fajita :)
yummy!!! the sauce on the potatoes…
yummy!!! the sauce on the potatoe…
grilling shrimp burgers
grilling shrimp burgers
Fresh and tasty seafood at Restaurant Oh Mar
Restaurant Oh Mar has locations in 4 different cities in Ecuador, I visited the one in Manta, which is very well located at the Malecon at the most fa… read entire review
Wings in Manta
There's quite a large community of Americans in Manta, so a place for wings makes sense. It's a small but well decorated and cozy restaurant, locat… read entire review
Regular, shrimp and Ostrich Burgers at David's Hamburger
David's is a small corner restaurant located in Manta. David - the owner - is also the cook and you can find his restaurant open daily from 7pm - midn… read entire review
Manta Sights & Attractions review
Bat Beach or Playa El Murcielago
Manta is located on the coast, so going to the beach is a MUST! The best beach to visit is this one: El Murcielago (which means Bat). The Malecon i… read entire review
Manta