What Next?

Ecuador Travel Blog

What next?

Well, am now a Celta graduate. As a result, all employers are beating a path down to my Ecuadorian household demanding that I work for them for 2000 dollars a month, in a beautiful house with flawless wireless connection. I wish.

Unfortunately, much to my disgust nothing of the kind has happened as yet so am sulking in a distinctly immature and undignified manner. However, have managed to secure job at place called 'Inlingua' described my revered Celta course leader as a nasty cult. Yes, cult rather than anything else.

Equally, the first class I have is Monday- Friday 7- 8.30... AM!.

The school is at the top of a mountain. Not really, but it is a fairly large hill. The one saving grace I suppose is that that time is actually still night, and therefore my hiking experiences up the bloody thing wont be too hot. Huh.

I have moved out of the Sylvias and Andreas'. It was all very sad and moving (I felt) although I was reminded that I'm moving 10 minutes down the road. Andreas called me a cry baby, even though I clearly didn't cry, or do anything overly emotional and Latino. In fact though this was quite fortunate as when I got out of the taxi at the new place I realised I'd left my laptop there. And so, back I went. I had also taken their house keys.

All in all, the moving house was pretty chaotic and disorganised, as is of course nothing other than expected. For example, whilst I knew the general area of the place, all the houses are fenced in like prisons and so it is difficult to tell which is which. Obviously I didn't want to share this incompetence with the taxi driver and so just chose a house to be dropped off outside. Needless to say, it was the wrong one so I had to transport my suitcases to the right house in stages as I couldnt drag all 3 of them plus bags full of the crap Jack left in Ecuador at once. And it was dark.

On Saturday, I got very sunburnt. The problem is that being windy and and such high altitude you don't realise how strong the sun is because it isn't always stupidly hot. Obviously though, I have been here two months and am constantly being confronted with people who tell me those things all the time so I can't quite absolve myself of responsbility.

Seriously though, the rest of me is fine, my face is not. I went straight to a friends' house that afternoon, and after a few hours went to the bathroom, where in the mirror I was confronted with the face of the devil himself. I kid you not, I looked like I was wearing a mask for Halloween.

And whilst the sunburnt English look is a popular one the world over, it was not the one I was trying to cultivate. I am now in the unfortunate position of trying to stop my skin falling off in ribbons by submerging it in E45 and moisturiser every 15 minutes. Aside from anything else, this is extremely time consuming and having limited success- I will keep you all posted on prgress.

On a serious note, I was very sad to miss Nick Millar's Memorial Game yesterday. However as with the funeral it was really touching to see how many people were there. I thought particularly that the balloons were a lovely idea, and from all the photos I've seen (thanks Craig) it looked a lovely tribute to a man who was much loved and will be missed by far too many. My thoughts are particularly with Jane, Ollie, Harry, Jo and Ella.

I want to go home. In fact, my thoughts at this precise moment are sod Ecuador, bring on Christmas. I'm going to wear my 'I LOVE LONDON T-shirt tomorrow in a silent if juvenile protest at my situation.

Until next time,

First and foremost, many apologies for my long absence. You know, when ur just so busy you literally have no time to think? No, me neither until this bloody thing. Don´t try it, it´s horrible.

Have just finished week 2 of 5 week course... there is simply no telling whether I will survive it or not, some days its touch and go. Also, am becoming slightly concerned about what I´m going to do afterwards. Thus far, my plan is that I´m going to move out of the Sylvias´ and Andreas´house... and that is as far as have got.

I have no job and no place to live. As if becoming a peasant isnt enough, im going to be a hobo as well. Fabulous.

In all seriousness though, Celta people are apparently going to help us find work. However, do not feel remotely employable atm. Kate says is good for me to work so hard, and still find it so difficult. Apparently, will teach me humility. In retrospect, she has always been very bad at sympathy.

Am having several tantrums a day, and something usually nearly makes me cry, or alternatively hysterical with laughter. At least twice a week, its the photocopier. This machine is one of the many banes of my existence and I have never before fully appreciated the joys of wireless connection. Obviously the song is correct; you do not know what you´ve got til it´s gone, however in this case is not friends and family but unlimited internet access.

Particularly as have got first 60 minute lesson on Tuesday. Also thousand word assignment due next week, and alterations of first assignment that was due in on Friday. This however, according to the Maestros of Celta, is our relaxing week. Huh.

On the upside, there is very little food. Every day, eat cheese sandwich and bowl of rice in evening. Good. Of course, this is not what you would call ideal healthwise, and when have a life again, am going to make a bit more effort to be normal. Is very hard though.

Very bad news in terms of suntan, we do not ever see the sun, so am in ecuador and pasty. This is in direct contrast to the plan of the great ecuadorian adventure. Hopefully, will be able to go to te beach for a wek after the course is finished. This is lovely plan, although utterly unbased in reality, as most unfairly am actually going to have to use this qualification to get job, instead of recapturing my youth, that i will have lost through course. If hair was not already going grey, certainly would have started by now.

Due to lack of social life as a general rule, Friday nights thus far have been somewhat messy, and long may it continue. Downside of this, is that shoes have made feet bleed. It is said that one must suffer to be beautiful. I have yet to see the saying that one must suffer and then continue to suffer, whilst wearing flip flops for the following week.

Also, my family seem to have gone away for the weekend. I say seem because i have no idea where any of them are, and have not seen them since Friday morning.

I do hope that this is not a hint.