Weekend Market

Bangkok Travel Blog

Exquisite bento
On Saturday morning Romana took me to Bangkok's enormous weekend market.  When I say enormous, I mean ENORMOUS.  That place is STAGGERING.  Deft as she is with everything, Romana knew exactly where to go and which vendors to see, which cut our time spent flailing in the heat down to zilch.  My kind of woman.

The market has everything you can imagine: produce, livestock, garden plants, prepared foods, textiles, china, wood, household items, clothing, handicrafts, kitsch -- you name it.  It's massive.  Fortunately, it's also organized so the food and animals are on one side of a monster of a highway and handicrafts are on the other, which makes navigating through it fairly easy.

In the afternoon I got a haircut, figuring anything would be better than the butchering my hair received in China.  In fairness, I accomplished just that: it's better than it was.  But it's not great.  I came home and marveled to Romana how I didn't understand why Asians refuse to use SCISSORS when cutting hair, what's with all the hacking with a straight blade??  Not only does it leave my hair all feathery and funny looking, but the ends, rather than being repaired, get frayed to bits.  I want my ends to look thick and healthy, not thinned away to nothing.  Apparently this is the trend for Asian haircuts; to have the elongated V-shape down your back and thinned and feathered out, rather than straight across.  She said I could (and should) demand scissors, and to refrain from using the word "trim."  Interesting.  Will give that a try next time.

On Saturday evening we went to R&R's favorite Japanese restaurant, and had the most intricate and meticulously created bento boxes I've ever seen.  We were served sashimi to start, and then presented with chests of food.  Literally, chests.  Made of wood.  With drawers and lids and secret compartments.  It was AWESOME.

The bentos had chilled soba, assorted tempura, sweet beans with (real) goldleaf on them, a ridiculously delicious sweet yam-like vegetable that I'd forgotten about, some sort of (cooked) white flaky fish with a savory paste on top, and a whole manner of bite-sized fish-themed food only the Japanese could dream up.  That was just inside the box.  Outside the box came the standard array of rice with salmon eggs, mochi and seaweed soup, some sort of fishy egg custard, various bowls with the assorted broths and dipping sauces, and a mess of Japanese pickles and crunchy daikon.  Chilled, crisp fruit for dessert.  Yum.

Aesthetic and gastronomic feast, both.  Not to mention superbly delicious.  I half expected the backpacker police to storm in and issue me a citation for over indulgence.
Bangkok