Throwing in the Towel

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Yeah so apparently I can't hack it with the big boys.  Here I had all these grand plans to travel through June, and let me tell you, the last week or two, staring down the barrel at four more months of travel, it suddenly overwhelmed me.  I tried to ignore it, figured as soon as I left Asia I'd be back to loving it, even went so far as to buy my plane tickets to Sydney (ouch).  But then I had an epiphany, and I use the term loosely, as it's not exactly rocket science:  I'm burnt out.

I'm tired of living out of a backpack and constantly navigating new cities and figuring out how to get from A to B and not knowing where I'll sleep tonight and living without the "luxuries" of hot water or proper plumbing and all the other assorted headaches.  Don't get me wrong, it's been absolutely amazing.  It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself, and I'm blown away by just what an incredible time I've had.  But I've caught myself going through the motions, not really savoring or appreciating the journey, and things have started to become a blurry checklist.  And as much fun as Australia and New Zealand would be, it doesn't exactly make sense to spend the immense time, money, and energy if I'm only half-heartedly in it.  It's almost wasteful.

So I'm cutting my losses and coming home.  There will always be more of the world to travel, when I'm fresh and enthusiastic and clawing to get the hell out, just as I was six months ago.

Shot off emails to the relevant parties, priced out fares from all the regional hubs, and snagged my ticket.  March 2nd.  I am STOKED.

Two parting thoughts:
1. TWO WEEKS, BITCHES!!!!!
And 2. Do you know what that means?!  That means I get homemade birthday cake for the first time since HIGH SCHOOL.  Holy Hannah I'm excited.
Connie says:
I feel for ya. I remember that wall of jadedness. Only two weeks left now? Where will you spend your last days of your trip? I love ending my trips on the beach on some island so I can relax before heading back.
Posted on: Feb 17, 2010
sylviandavid says:
Hooray..... Homemade cake.... and maybe even homemade ice cream..... Sounds perfect ... and hot showers, driving, sleeping in, and of course the dog...

It's been great... loved reading your funny, sarcastic and sweet blogs... and I agree with you... If you're not having fun then it's time... You can always go to different continents and areas at later dates.... they will still be there....

By the way... who are you calling a BITCH.... or was that a typo and you are writing it to your pants...

xoxoxo sylvia
Posted on: Feb 15, 2010
tasha_83 says:
I agree with u, what's the use of doing something if ur heart's not in it? Not worthwhile and not healthy, hehe.. i figured u'd say this since the people's repub..let's not remember that ;) But u stayed on, after all, it is not the destination that matters, it's the journey! and I wanna thank u so much for taking me through a wonderful journey! :)
Posted on: Feb 15, 2010