Suiting Up for "Winter"

Hanoi Travel Blog

Thursday was a pretty uneventful travel day.  Woke up in Hoi An, spent an hour drinking tea and killing time on the internet, checked out, and headed to the airport.  Vietnam Airlines has some stupid policy about one carry-on per person (I presume they get this from the UK?), which means I found an artful way to sling both of my carry-ons over my shoulder to create the illusion of having just one.  The airplane was big (we're talking airbus big), nice, brand new.  As with my flight on Korean Air, I was both surprised and pleased.

For those of you who aren't familiar with my travel karma, allow me to bring you up to speed: I have a knack for being on planes with screaming babies.  Not "a" screaming baby.  Screaming babies.  Plural.  One sounds the alarm, the rest yell their heads off in quick succession.  With several babies at the gate area and one cranky and yowling before we even boarded, I knew I was in for a treat.  Said treat multiplied by a thousand when the cranky fitful baby sat directly in front of me, an overactive clawing at/throwing everything baby sat directly to my left, and a third directly behind me.  The trifecta of screaming babies.  Oh goody.

Aside from being whacked with papers and baby snacks by the squealing mischievous one on my left, the ride was quiet and uneventful.  I couldn't believe my luck.  But the funniest thing happened when we landed: all three mothers suited up their kids in winter gear.

Now, here in southeast Asia, "winter" is at the same time as it is in Europe and the States, given it being in the northern hemisphere and all.  That being said, "winter" is perhaps the difference between sweating while taking a cold shower and not.  It's still hot here.  Not warm, not seasonable, HOT.  The airplane, as with all airplanes, was freezing.  Icy cold air blasting all over the place.  And the mothers were all content to let their squealing darlings clobber and drool on everything while wearing the standard cotton getup for babies.  But as soon as we touch down and it's time to go out on the tarmac, the winter gear comes out.  Every baby on the plane was zipped up into serious winter coats, hoods fastened snugly around their little heads.  Am I missing something here?

And that, boys and girls, is why I'm traveling.  For the ridiculous quirks encountered along the way.
sylviandavid says:
It is odd bundling the babies up.... but we noticed when it was in the low 70's people were wearing sweaters and coats.... and we are still melting.... It's the quirks that make the trip memorable... It's the REASON we travel.... :D ... sylvia
Posted on: Feb 08, 2010