Ringing in the New Year

Bangkok Travel Blog

On Thursday Romana and I reasoned that 8pm local time was midnight in Sydney, thereby freeing us of any obligation to stay awake until midnight in Bangkok.  That, and 6am the following morning would be midnight for Austria, and noon would be midnight for New York.  We figured we had our bases covered.

Romana, Richard, and I spent New Year's Eve sprawled out on the living room floor with regional maps and guidebooks, plotting my route.  We went to bed at our regular hour, and I managed to sleep through the ruckus at midnight.  Thank you, Asian time zones.

On Friday we did absolutely nothing.  Spent the whole day at the pool, from the moment we woke up until the mid-afternoon.  Swimming, writing, relaxing -- one of those perfect leisurely days without boredom.  On Friday night R&R treated me to an exquisite multi-course Thai meal: spicy pomelo and prawn salad, green bean and chili salad, coconut milk and mushroom soup, vegetable stir-fry, green curry with tofu, and Thai greens, all accompanied by three kinds of rice.  To round off the evening we had durian cheesecake and coconut crème brûlée.  YUM.  Feast indeed!
Bangkok