Quiet in Klong Muang

Ao Nang Travel Blog

Hat Yao
Yesterday I left Lipe for Klong Muang.  My trek involved a boat to Hat Yao, a bus to Ao Nang, and finally a car to Klong Muang; it was 4pm by the time I arrived.  Klong Muang is west of Ao Nang, which is west of Krabi.  In other words, I’m about midway up Thailand’s southern tail on the west coast, whereas Lipe is literally just over the border from Malaysia.  KM is so small it’s not on many maps, and it certainly isn’t in any guidebook.  Shae and Kyle, two Aussies I met while snorkeling, tipped me onto the place with their highest recommendations.  So far so good.

When Bang Sung, the owner of the hotel I'm staying at, pulled up to retrieve me from Ao Nang, he merely rolled down his window and called "hello!"  I said "hello!" back, loaded the hippo into his trunk, and hopped in.
Hat Yao
  It occurred to me I really need to start clarifying with people that they are indeed who I think they are, and that they're taking me where I need to go.  This "hello!" business is going to get me into trouble.

So we pull out, and he turns and asks me where I'm staying.  Uh, at your house.  My house?  Yes, your house.  At which point he looks all sorts of confused.  Shit.  That's not good.  So I pull out the paper I had his name and number scribbled on from S&K, and said you are Bang Sung, right?  Yes.  Ok, good.  I'm staying with you.  News to him.

For those of you keeping score, I haven't learned my lesson just yet.  I've accepted two rides on the backs of strangers' motorbikes as I've walked into/out of town.  Are you kidding?  It's like a two mile hike each way.
Hat Yao
  And it's Thailand.  Where else can you hop on behind a stranger and be safer than in your hometown?  I'm all for the free rides.  They're fun, too.

It’s quiet here.  Quieter even than Lipe, which is odd, considering Lipe is a tiny isolated island, and KM is on Thailand’s mainland.  There’s a bigger tourist scene in both Ao Nang and Krabi, which are used as jumping off places to get to Koh Phi Phi and Phuket, as well as other islands in the area.  Why Klong Muang doesn’t make the radar, I don’t know.  But I’m stoked to have this place to myself.
Main drag in Klong Muang
Main drag in Klong Muang
Best green curry Ive ever had. Ev…
Best green curry I've ever had. E…
Ao Nang Hotels & Accommodations review
An Unknown Bargain in Klong Muang
Srisuksan is run by Bang Sung and his family. It's off the main street in Klong Muang, down a very quiet road that runs parallel to the beach. The roo… read entire review
Ao Nang