Pit Stop in Langkawi

Langkawi Travel Blog

This morning I took a ferry from Penang to Langkawi, a prime vacation spot for Malaysians.  I managed to snag a taxi without hassle, who then happily drove me across the island to what I thought was the international ferry terminal, but in reality was just a regular marina.  Purchasing a ticket for Ko Lipe required surrendering my passport, which made me all sorts of nervous.  I tried to fight the lady on it, and then armed myself with her business card, like that would actually help me should my passport make its way to the black market.

Turns out the ferry to Ko Lipe is just a speed boat.  There were only sixteen of us on board, flying across the water, excited and giddy to be speeding toward the pristine beaches of Thailand.
  (And, true to their word, they processed all the passports at once, right there on the beach as we hopped down into the water from the boat.)

Ko Lipe is beautiful.  It’s developed far more than I expected it to be, but apparently there’s been an enormous building boom in the last year alone.  The secret is out.  Here I thought I was outsmarting the crowds at Ko Phi Phi; seems many others had the same thought.

On that note, I met Amanda and Christian (from Barcelona) on the boat ride from Langkawi, who said they had come last year with the intention of staying a few nights and ended up staying for the duration of their Thailand holiday.  They’re back again this year, and apparently there are far more people -- and prices to reflect this trend -- than last year.  Not surprising, but not my favorite either.
Langkawi