Penang for a Day

Penang Travel Blog

Yesterday I took a bus (and then a ferry) from Cameron Highlands to Penang, an island off the northwest coast of Malaysia.  I buddied up with Sarah and Marieanne, two girls I met in the highlands, and together we found a place for the night.

It was a low-key afternoon.  Marieanne bused to the far end of the island to visit some Chinese temple overrun with snakes (no thank you), and Sarah and I wandered around Georgetown, the main town area.  We found some terrific Chinese food, probably some of the best I’ve had, at an unassuming cafeteria-style eatery.  The potato curry and homemade soy milk were especially nice.  From there we wandered Little India, poking into a few shops and ogling all the fun Hindu bracelets and things.
  We passed several temples and one mosque, and wandered some of the quieter side streets.  Down one of these streets we found Amelie, a delightful little coffee shop that looked as if it belonged in Vermont.  Creative, friendly, potted plants and reclaimed wood -- it was adorable.

In the evening the three of us returned to Little India for dinner, to a vegetarian restaurant Sarah and I had passed earlier.  We ordered ourselves a feast.  An assortment of curries and breads and rices and dosas and teas.  It was fantastic.  Perhaps the best meal I had in Malaysia.  Yum.

Turns out Penang isn’t much.  The island is a World Heritage site, like Malacca, and so is firmly on the tourist map.  Aside from an old fort and a clock tower, there isn’t much of an “old town.”  It’s basically morphed into a backpacker haunt, with lots of cheap accommodation and bars and sunburned westerners running around.  Neat to see, but did pretty much everything in the span of one afternoon.

Good food though.  Penang definitely has that going for it.  And so my Malaysian jaunt comes to an end, on a delicious note.  Not too shabby.
Amelie - terrific cafe
Cutest menus youve ever seen at A…
Cutest menus you've ever seen at …
Malaysian Ringgits
Malaysian Ringgits
Delicious Indian feast
Delicious Indian feast
Penang Hotels & Accommodations review
Bare-Bones Budget Hotel in Penang
E&A is a no frills budget hotel in Georgetown. It's just off the main backpacker street, set down a short alley, which means it's quieter, which is go… read entire review
Penang