Lounging in Lipe

Koh Lipe Travel Blog

Today was a nice leisurely day at the beach.  I woke up to roosters crowing with the sunrise, and managed to doze a bit longer until the activity of the guesthouse bustling awake prodded me out of bed.  I was goobered up and laying on the beach shortly after 8am.  I alternated between watching other tourists gear up for their day’s snorkeling/diving excursions and swimming every fifteen minutes or so to cool off.

A little after 10am I walked with Amanda and Christian to Sunrise Beach (aptly named, as it sits on the east coast of the island) to check out a different cluster of bungalows.  The bungalows were brand new and nicer (and come with their own private bathrooms, toilet and shower and everything -- we don’t have plumbing here at Monkey), but they were set back a ways from the beach, which wasn’t as nice as Pattaya Beach, where I am currently.
  Those two factors, together with the price tag being 300% of what I’m currently paying means I’m roughing it without plumbing for the duration of my stay.  The ideal location on the ideal beach allow for the plumbing thing to be viewed as “rustic” and “charming” for the time being.  (A&C moved; they’re on vacay and hence not as budget-minded as I am.)

I had lunch on the main strip of Lipe, which is a sandy path that cuts north to south across the island (there are no paved roads or cars here -- it’s tiny, you can easily walk the whole thing on foot).  I snagged some ice cold homemade soy milk and a plate of pad thai further down the road.  Yes, pad thai.  Yes, I am that person.  But I love pad thai, I never let myself order it at home because I LOATHE being that person, and I didn’t order it in Bangkok a few weeks ago for that exact reason.
  So I had pad thai.  And I fully plan on having it again.  Many times.  You’re over it.  (For those wanting to know, it was quite tasty. I can’t wait for the street food version.)

I napped away the hottest hours of the day in my shady little bungalow.  In the late afternoon I walked the length of Pattaya Beach (twice, the second time toting my camera) and popped in and out of the water as I went.  It’s so nice here.

Tomorrow I’m off on an all day snorkeling excursion, hitting four neighboring islands and countless reefs between.  Should be gorgeous.
Koh Lipe