Holiday in Singapore

Singapore Travel Blog

On Tuesday I flew to Singapore, which I have been looking forward to for WEEKS.  John, a friend from home, met me at the airport and whisked me off to his stunning condo overlooking Singapore's port.  He indulged my grocery store fetish and laughed as I ran around salivating and grabbing two of everything.  Grocery stores here are big and clean and stocked with everything under the sun, and needless to say I was licking my chops as we strolled down every aisle.

We brought our loot back to the house, opened the huge sliding doors to the balcony, cracked open a bottle of Sauvingnon Blanc, and had ourselves a feast: French bread, a whole mess of ripe soft cheeses, sliced veggies and hummus, stuffed peppers, nuts, the works.
  It was DELICIOUS.  Eating and drinking with the ocean breeze, watching the big barges and container ships and tugboats come in and out, catching up with someone I haven't seen in months -- does it get any better?  After dinner we strolled around the small island that John's house is on, digesting our food and oohing and ahhing at the uber modern, beyond posh estates his neighbors call home.  It's a nice place.

Yesterday I did absolutely nothing.  It was fabulous.  Caught up on laundry, talked to my sister, went for a run along the water, lazed around the house -- a full blown vacation day.  In the evening I met two other friends from home, Holly & Jeff, who are very dear to me and moved out here this summer.  We celebrated over a terrific bottle of champagne at a French wine bar, and then walked down the street for Italian, before rounding off the night with fresh mango daiquiris at a swank rooftop bar a few doors down.  It was *so* good to see them.  We had a blast.

Singapore is far more westernized than Hong Kong is.  Far more.  Literally everyone speaks English (and well -- in fact, I believe English is the dominant/first language here), and the shops and restaurants are definitely tailored to the western palate.  It's clean, quiet, orderly, friendly, and a breath of fresh air.  I'm loving it here.  Granted, I'm being spoiled rotten, and enjoying a much-needed break from the backpacker hack.  My diet is finally back to normal; I'm eating the things I would at home.  And it's nice to have the time and space to get some exercise.  Feels good.  It's going to be hard to leave.  In fact, I've already pushed back my estimated date of departure.  I'm in heaven.  It's a rough life, but somebody's got to do it.

I'll be reading on the balcony if you need me.  There's a thunderstorm and lightening waltzing with the ocean, and fresh salt air requiring some attention.  Yum.