Better Late Than Never

Bangkok Travel Blog

So my friend J, who keeps his identity off his blog and therefore I will too, posted this piece ( about the United Homeless Organization in New York nearly two months ago.  I've been meaning to repost it for AGES, but unfortunately have barely been able to keep up with my own writing, and so it kept falling to the wayside.  Bad girl.

The UHO is being sued by New York Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo, and with good reason.  Apparently all those water cooler turned donation bins are one giant pyramid scheme for the homeless, and not helping the problem at large.  To add insult to injury, the fees that have been collected for the privilege to man one of these UHO tables have been spent on personal expenses, things like business class airline tickets.  It's outrageous.  Particularly considering these tables are EVERYWHERE.  Literally, you cannot walk the distance between two adjacent subway stations without bumping into one (if not more).  I couldn't believe it.

I should be writing about the tragedy in Haiti, I know.  But I wanted to bring this to the radar screen before it completely falls off altogether.  Hopefully I'll get to Haiti sometime before Easter.

Thank you to H&J for bringing the subject to light.
photo by: halilee