Why meeting locals rock....

Ljubljana Travel Blog

Well I've made it back from Ljubljana. What an excellent trip it was. It is a lovely old city with a real laid back atmosphere. It is so tourist free that I did not see one tourist shop the whole time I was there. For my dinner the first night another fella and myself decided to try a very popular local cuisine. A big fat juicy horse burger. Yes, horse! Think Black Beauty. Now the menu said that it was chopped horsemeat, but it looked more like a horse steak on the bun then ground meat. It wasn't bad, but I can't really say it was good either. Later that night we were in a local pub and it was coming upon closing time. We asked a couple gals at the table next to us if there were some other places in the area that was open for drinks. The girls, Tina & Marina, a couple of local university students said they show us when we were done with our drinks. We strolled to a few different clubs and the girls didn't like them because there was no one in them so they decided to go to another place but we had to take a cab. We had to take two cabs in fact, the girls put us in one told the cabbie something and we were off (I'm sure we all had some thoughts of doom running through our heads as we had no idea what the girls had said to the cab driver). We were dropped off in some alley with a door leading into the basement of some building. It turned out to be a student club. We drank, talked, and danced the night away and yes I danced like I was possessed by the soul of John Travolta. When we left the club it was day light, 6:30am to exact. We said our thanks and goodbyes to the girls and made our way back to the hostel. The next morning (technically afternoon) we were sitting around the hostel restaurant trying to motivate ourselves and planning out our day. The girls text us asking if we wanted to meet them in the centre after they were done with classes. It sounded like a good a plan as any so we figured what the heck. On trying to text them back we discovered our phones weren't working right, which is strange because none of us have ever had problems using our phones abroad. Four guys, five phones and nothing we could do to let them know yes. We tried to use the payphone but they don't except coins, only some kind of card and we had no idea were to buy the cards at. So we decide to walk to the centre and luckily we ran into them on the way there. They played tour guide to us for the day and then took us to the squat that night. The Squat is an old military base that has been taken over by squatters and turned into bars and clubs. Lots of artist and musicians apparently live there and even though it has a feel of some dirty square in Tijuana, it had lots of funky art all around. There were BBQ's going on, music was playing inside the clubs and out in the square and people were just having a goodtime. We stayed out to only four that night and said our final goodbyes to the girls as they were heading off to the ocean for the rest of their weekend. Bled is a town up in the mountains with a beautiful glacier lake with a church on an island in the middle. We were told that it was only about a two-hour walk around the lake so we figured what the heck. Well about half an hour into our walk it started raining, hard. Of course none of us had jackets, as it was beautiful down in Ljubljana. Luckily we came across a pub and ducked in for a few pints and waited till the rain let up. Once the rain had let up enough we continued our walk. About twenty minutes later it started again and low and behold another pub. This happened three more times and the walk around the lake took a little over four hours. It seemed the weather would only clear up just enough to allow us to make it to the next pub for a drink. It was one crazy pub-crawl. Later that night we were going to go to pizza but got sucked into a few drinks and talking to some other people at the hostel and by time we decided to go eat it was almost midnight. Of course the restaurants were all closed except one. The Hot Horse. This place served nothing but horse burgers and we were starving as none of us had eaten anything all day. I know, I know, but I have to say it. We were so hungry we could eat a horse and dang it, we did. This time it was a little better, more like a burger. We wound back up at the squat with a few others from the hostel that night and wound up in bed at about 2am. This place served nothing but horse burgers and we were starving as none of us had eaten anything all day. I know, I know, but I have to say it. We were so hungry we could eat a horse and dang it, we did. This time it was a little better, more like a burger. We wound back up at the squat with a few others from the hostel that night and headed to bed at about 2am. We had a few hours to spend in the city on our last day and lost track of time and had to run to make our bus to the airport, we caught it with maybe a minute to spare. But of course the plane was delayed so a few last rounds of Lasko were had (Slovenia Beer). We all slept the whole flight home. I would definitely recommend Slovenia to anyone and so far it is one of the few places I've been that I would like to go back to.