They grow corn in Mexico?!

Guadalajara Travel Blog

When I first stepped off the plane, I saw the beautiful mountains and a city that looked like anywhere else in the United States.  Then... I had my first Mexican taxi ride!  There is no American equivalent.  On the outskirts of the city, there were the informal shanty towns, just like I'm accustomed to seeing in Latin America.  But, it didn't take long to hit the crazy city traffic.  Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico and with 6 million people... there's a lot going on!

Our group, Ninos de Mexico International, worked with the Casas Hogar de Caridad orphanage in Zapopan.  If you are on facebook, look up NdM!  Also, here is a link to an article about the founder: http://www.asha.org/publications/leader/archives/2008/080212/080212e.htm.

During our freetime we had so much fun cafe hopping, eating out, and touring downtown.

If you go to downtown Zapopan, there is a lovely Basilica.  The plaza is a fanastic place to take pictures.  When facing the church, to the right is a huge market with lots of fresh food and flowers.  At the Basilica, there is a quaint little museum that costs just 10 pesos (less than a dollar) that features the local indigenous tribes and their artwork.  They make beautiful works by pressing little tiny beads into wax.  The whole walkway through the plaza leading up to the church is lined with resturants and on the weekends there is usually outdoor music.

Cafe's you must visit: Cafe Paloma (near el Centro), Cafe Barra (closer to Zapopan)

Resutarant recommendations: La Fonda (about 5 blocks from the Cathedral downtown.  It's kind of pricey, but it's an amazing atmosphere).  La Abuelita (on Prolungacion Americas in Zapopan) It's an open air resuturant and they mix the salsa and guac tableside!)

Clubs:  La Mutualista is a ritzy club that offers Salsa on Thursday nights!

Finally, there is a new area of ruins called the Guachimontones.  It's really out in the middle of nowhere, and there is a beautiful lagoon with seafood!  It's way cooler than the pyramids because its much more primitive :)  On the drive out there, there are so many cornfields and agave fields.  I felt like I was back in Illinois with a few mountains!

Those are some of the highlights.  If you want more information, I can get directions (I just dont have the details in front of me!)

Happy travels!

Guadalajara Hotels & Accommodations review
This is a really nice hotel. very safe. However, it's expensive. They do have a beautiful pool, small business center, and they were willing to eas… read entire review