Impulsive trip to Utrecht.

Utrecht Travel Blog

Windmill
I was just back from two months in Mexico. My classes were going to start less than a week after. Problem was : I had absolutely no idea of what to do during these few days. I was so depressed of being back in France, with quite a bad weather, without my girlfriend who was busy... So I went on Google Earth to have a look to some places close and nice enough...
Netherlands appeared to be a good place to visit, as I had never been there before. I didn't want to go to Amsterdam, as I'm kinda agoraphobic, and usually look for quiet places. So I just asked on CouchSurfing forum for some advices. One hour later, a girl invites me to Utrecht. I check quickly on the internet : yeah, looks good, a cultural festival will be happening, with lots of free stuff to do, lots of monuments going to open their door for the occasion.
Castle De Haar
Price of the ticket with Eurolines : 30euros for round trip. I buy it. It's 11p.m., the bus leaves in 9hours. Enough time to prepare !

The next afternoon, I "land" in a place I had never heard about. I don't know what to expect. I feel lost. I'm happy ! =)
The weather is fine. The city is big enough to have lots of interesting things to visit, small enough to just walk around. Almost no tourists at all. I'm definitely happy !
Second and third day, I rent a bike, and go for a 80km trip on each day to the neighborhood (North, almost to Amsterdam, and then South). Windmills, cows, nature, canals, river, boats, nothingness, quietness, castles... A bit tiring, though, I was not that used to driving a bike !
Then the festival. Good concerts, not too crowded, free demos and lessons of tango, swing, salsa, photo exhibitions, workshops of all kinds, cheap beer... Yeah, I'm still happy ! =)

Eventually, it made a good transition between Mexico and France. Still feeling like traveling abroad, but in a more "France-like" place. Good !
moshers_moll says:
Great blog & most impressive photos! I've been to Utrecht and the lovely neighbourhood of De Bilt but not the West side of Utrecht,wasn't aware of Kasteel de Haar but I will definitely be checking it out, looks beautiful :-)
Posted on: Nov 18, 2009