Bangkok, baby!

Bangkok Travel Blog

Let's begin! I arrived in Bangkok on Sunday with my friend, Dina, and after aimlessly wandering around the airport we decided to take a taxi because our backpacks were really heavy! (I will never ever again claim I can travel light =)) We were met with the humid and extremely hot temperature of 33 as we exited the building. I knew what to expect but still after leaving Finland in the morning when it was like 5 degrees, it felt like a sauna!

Our first destination was the Khao San area (made famous by the movie the Beach) and to find ourselves a hostel as we decided not to book in advance. We checked into the hostel and decided to take a nap after having traveled for 24 hours, it definitely was needed! After we decided to go out for a "couple" of drinks. Already at the first place we met people from England, South Africa and Thailand. This was the start of a real good evening! We went to listen to some live music and just had a blast :)

On Tuesday we went to the Grand Palace and met with another TravBuddy. The Grand Palace is highly impressive! All the detail put into it just makes you speechless. I did not do my homework properly before going there but still seeing it was well worth the visit! In the evening we decided to meet up with the people we met on Monday and went to the Rooftop Bar to listen to some great live music again. After we checked out The Club, not really my thing with the strobo lights and trance type of music...

Today, Wednesday, we decided to leave the Khao San area and come closer to the center. After staying at the New Joe Guesthouse, the Asha Guesthouse in Silom is like a paradise! For 175 bahts each we get a twin room with a fan and terrace. Will write more in the reviews about these places :) Tonight we will meet up with a Thai friend by the big malls in Siam. Can't buy anymore stuff as my backpack is already so full that I might need to consider buying another, smaller backpack I can carry in the front.. :)

Tomorrow our plan is to explore more the central districts of Bangkok and then on Friday we will move on to Phuket for some beach time :) We will meet up with some TravBuddies there and just relax and have a good time!! :)

Lord_Mike says:
Yeah, that flight to Thailand was a killer! Catching up on sleep, and time zones, is a lot of fun! I am glad you had so much fun in Thailand...looking forward to your pictures!!!
Posted on: Sep 23, 2009
Bangkok Hostels review
Nice hostel on a budget
Stayed here for two nights. The room was clean with a balcony and fans. We only paid 350 bahts per night for a twin room. They also have a pool and fr… read entire review
692 km (430 miles) traveled