Colombia

Colombia Travel Blog

Many people considered this second leg of my coffee triptych as the more dangerous destination. I was surprised, but perhaps not that much. When I started working almost ten years ago, my employer had a database that explained how to reach each country office from the airport. For Bogota it seemed you had to seriously worry about not getting kidnapped. But things have changed. Unfortunately the good news never gets headlines, so we tend to get stuck with a negative image that's outdated. I must say that I felt more worried walking around at night in Quito. And from stories I've heard the streets of Caracas are not that safe either.

But why consider going to Colombia in the first place? There are more than fifty national parks or reserves that allow for a multitude of adventurous activities. During my five weeks in the country I enjoyed hiking, rafting, paragliding, caving, horseback riding and diving. If you like old colonial towns you will simply love places like Cartagena, Villa de Leyva or Popayan - my personal favourite. Of course stuff like this can be found in neighbouring countries as well, but they cannot offer the Colombian hospitality. Everywhere you go Colombians seem to be very willing to convince you that you made the right choice to visit their country. And somehow they seem to know the secret for finding a right balance between hard working and fun loving.

Of course the country still has it's fair share of problems, as I could witness first hand myself. But definitely that not stop you from going there. And do so now. Or as the national tourist board puts it "Colombia, the only risk is wanting to stay"...