Kissing Moose...WATCH THE VIDEO!

Anchorage Travel Blog

Two quick notes about moose in Alaska….on one evening, a group of a dozen of us drove to Downtown Anchorage to try some more microbrew beer and shoot some pool. I was the sober driver for the evening. This was later found out to be a very good thing. I was driving from downtown back toward the base at roughly 40-45 mph (64-72kph) with a car full of semi-intoxicated Air Force reserves, when suddenly a female moose (called a cow) decided to step out on the road, right in front of our van. I was able to slam on the breaks, and give everybody near whiplash in the process…but I avoided the 6 foot (1.8 meter) cow and her massive 600-800 pound (270-362 kg) body by a mere 5 feet.

The other moose run-in was the night of our end-of-tour party. There was a male and female moose that were feeding on the side of the road on base, right around the corner from our lake chalet. I hope to be able to get that video on line, as the male moose walked an arm’s length away from me…and I thought for a moment it was going to charge me with its huge rack of horns! To see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeOTr6Lpy7g

Lord_Mike says:
This is about as close as I want to be, to kissing moose!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009
nicolecarp says:
I'm glad you have a quick reaction time but every more glad to know you that responsible driving was in action. I lost an aunt from a drunk driver so it's good to hear people being responsible.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009
Lord_Mike says:
This was very scary, and way too close of a call! How to explain to everybody, if it had happened?
Posted on: Sep 15, 2009