Fishing Day Four - it pays to have the correct bait!

Girdwood Travel Blog

When we went to work on Day Four, we got our shift brief from the Day Crew, who told us a few items we had not learned from our Fishing 101 Class yet. We were using lures instead of correct bait! The Day Shift guys had run into a group of guys from the Hawaiian Islands, whom were using fish roe eggs as bait, and suddenly the Day Shift began to catch fish. Also, the Day Crew found out about Portage #2 Creek (***remember that creek, should you be fishing in Anchorage next year). Portage #2 is south of Anchorage and Girdwood, and is just south of 20 Mile River, maybe another mile or so down the road.

So, we had our licenses. We had our poles. We now had the correct bait. What else could go wrong? We did not know yet, but we needed to learn a basic understanding of tides and how they affect the flow of salmon to and from the ocean. On Fishing Day Four, we had all the right stuff…but were fishing when the tides were too high. We casted, and casted, and casted, but to no avail. I forgot, but Dave did catch one salmon...while I casted in vain. Not catching our limit, we decided to fish at another creek, Bird Creek, which is the smelliest fishing hole around the Anchorage area. It is also rock infested, and Dave and I easily lost hooks trying to fish down that creek. Frustrated, we returned back to base to catch a couple hours of sleep before the next day of work.

Lord_Mike says:
Boy, didn't I find that out!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009
alyssa_ob says:
Seems fishing in Alaska is a little more involved than fishing in the Midwest!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2009
Lord_Mike says:
It truly is all about having the right bait, and incredible patience!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009