Salmon Fishing Class 101 - Silver Salmon in Alaska, Aug 24 - Sep 6 2009

Anchorage Travel Blog

My annual active duty training with the Air Force this year sent me to Elmendorf Air Base, in Anchorage, Alaska. My job in the military is to move personnel, cargo, mail, and equipment, from point A to point B….much like any commercial airport does. The only difference is I only move military personnel and equipment.

Every year for annual active duty training, the military has to send me somewhere…and this year, they sent me to Alaska! Yes, for work. We worked 9-hour work days. However, as soon as shift ended, we immediately set off for fishing! I worked the graveyard shift in Alaska, so by the end of shift, the sun was shining, and we were all gunning to go fishing! Needless to say, the only thing that suffered was…sleeping! Go to work, go fishing, catch a couple hours of sleep and then do it all over again! Work, and fish….work and fish!

A famous TBer, "Old School Bill", has a good quote for me: There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright. The first week I was fishing for Salmon, I was that idiot stading on the shore, NOT catching any fish!!!

The following entries are all about my adventures, from novice to apprentice salmon fisherman, and my travels in and around the Anchorage area.

Stigen says:
congrats!
oldschoolbill says:
Thanks Mike
alyssa_ob says:
Holy cow, those are some nice fish! Congrats on the feature today!
Anchorage