AsiaIndiaMumbai

Mumbai

Mumbai Travel Blog

It was still dark in our room, because the windows blinds were down, but I could hear some noise from the street. I opened my eyes, looked at the ceiling and thought: great, I am almost 7000 km from my home, in the middle of nowhere, but I definately liked the idea, because my vacation has just begun ;-) I checked the time, it was nearly noon, but we were so tired from work and journey, so did have to get some good sleep.

I was sweating already, it must have been something like 33C (in Europe just 4C - I liked that idea :) ), I went on our little balcony and looked at the street. I was so amazed by people, cars and noise from the street, while I was enjoying the sun, that I finally stared there for 10 minutes.

We got ready and went out to explore Mumbai! Everyone was looking at us, but Indians always do.
I must say they were all smiling and seemed to be very nice. We passed few little shops and many stalls with clothes. We also found a little stall with sunglasses and I got great ones for less then 1 euro! lol And he charged me 40 cents more, but I did not bother of course :D We went through a park, where people were playing cricket (very popular in India) and saw some beautiful buildings!

We were just wandering around for a while, it was really hot - we loved it, so we decide to go to the famous Gateaway of India. On our way to a bigger road in order to catch a taxi, we saw some blind people, so we gave them money and finally took the taxi, which was very cheap too.

It was nice, when we got there! Many indian tourists, Taj Mahal on the right (the hotel, which was under terroristic attack) and Gateaway ahead of us.
We took some pictures, enjoyed the atmosphere, but we were starting to be hungry, because we had not eaten anything since the morning. So we went to the round about, which is close to Gateaway and were looking for some restaurants. But we could not find anything really. We bought some food from a stall then, I was a bit worried at first, but I was so bloody starving, that I ate it all. It was rice with some spicy sauce, an awful lot spicy :-), but we enjoyed that! It was nice experience, first contact with Indian food and guess, how much it was! 20 cents each! haha

Our stomachs were pleased, we went into Prince of Wales Museum, which was nice and had beautiful building and then we came back to Gateaway and paid for a little ride on a boat to see G.
in a small taxi
from the other side :) The wind was nice, fresh sea air and we even saw Indian military Navy in the port. Half of the boat took pictures of us and on our way back to G. some Indians spoke to us, which was nice.

We talked with quite a lot people. Some of them wanted us to buy 5 kgs of rice for them, but we gave them some money. They rejected it and insist on buying the rice, which we did not understand as they could buy it themselves for the money we gave them. So it must be some kind of trick - I do not know, maybe you have some experience (let me know) :)

I know, it is silly, but I wanted to get to know the culture a bit better and we went to see the main railway station - Charapati Shivaji Terminus. It was a good experience, so many people and old trains everywhere.
Gateaway of India
We were offered some train tickets and one very nice lady spoke to us and she even knew, how to say hi in my language!!! I was very impressed, because the Czech Republic is such a small country and I do not think that many Czechs go to India.

We were eating some cookies, that we bought at the station, and were breathing the atmosphere again. It was getting darker, so we slowly went towards our hotel. The architecture of the railways station is beautiful and there is also a huge church nearby! So it is definately worth visiting.

We had a nice shower in our room, changed clothes and went out again after a bit of relaxing. We went to embankment and then towards Chowpatty beach. Lots of people and dogs were sleeping on the ground, thank God it is at least warm for them! It was beautiful walk for us, we enjoyed some food and ice cream on Chowpatty and got to the hotel very late.
We ate here! lol