AsiaIndia

Goa (North), Calangute beach

Goa Travel Blog

The following morning we caught a little taxi to get to the airport and we also saw another bit of Mumbai on our way there, because the driver gave a lift to his brother somewhere at the same time. Imagine a little tiny taxi with four people and our huge luggage :) The weather was lovely again. We flew with SpiceJet.com, it was a typical low-cost airline, quite ok, but it was sooo humid in the aircraft and the flight was delayed by 30 mins. I guess Indians are used to the higher temperatures, so the air conditioning is always set for 25/26 C.

We bargained about taxi to Calangute beach, so we finally paid 500 ruppies. But most of taxi drivers are not allowed to go to the airport, so I think we had to go to the top level road and we waited there.
But the taxi driver had a problem with police, they had stopped him after 20 m, so he definately had to bribe them. He probably did not make much money, but it was not our business.

The journey took about an hour and we finally checked-in in our hotel "Goan Heritage". It is a very nice hotel right on the beach with nice swimming pool and gardens. We got a room on the second floor and had a beautiful seaview. I would say this hotel was very much like European standard 3* and I will definately go there next time!

We went to the beach straight away and went swimming. The sea was sooooo warm! It was absolutely lovely! I could not believe it. It was like going into a nice warm bath. You never feel cold in India, doesnt matter if you go swimming to sea/pool or going out from the pool.. Even the shower by the pool was warm, so you can never cool down yourself really.

So we enjoyed sunbathing, the sea, delicious and incredibly cheap food for few days (its "for free" for people from western Europe and very cheap for nationals like I am). We used to eat and drink in one of the beach shacks every day - there is plenty of them, so you will not have a problem. I would say that Calangute beach does not look like beaches in the south, but in the evening you can go out, or just have a walk, while in the south there is nothing to do...

We had a walk towards the ship-wreck few times, sometimes ran on the beach as it is quite far and we got bored after while :) We also went to famous Baga beach, had few drinks there and walked back by the sea.

In the nights I used to sit on the beach, breath the air, look at the stars sometimes for an hour. It was very relaxing and I felt very fresh and tired at the same time before going to bed.