An afternoon in Cambridge

Cambridge Travel Blog

Cambridge is a name famous everywhere in the world for its university. I was really impressed by the architecture of the colleges I visited in Oxford, so I was not taking a big risk of being disappointed in Cambridge!

It is definitely incredible! We visited King’s College, built on Henry VI’s orders. The entry is around 4£. The Chapel closed very early for some reasons, around 2.30. We were lucky to arrive just before they close!

It is said that “Henry went to great lengths to ensure that his college, and in particular its Chapel, would be without equal in magnificence in either Oxford or Cambridge”. It is true that it is huge, as soon as I entered I felt so impressed! The ceiling struck me first. Those shapes crossing each other are mind boggling and fascinating. I also truly loved the organ!

After visiting the Chapel, we wandered around the college, outside, to admire the buildings. We finally went out by the little path with great view of the entire college, leading to a quiet and nice area.

It must be amazing to study in a place so full of history.

There is a river going across the town and the colleges and it is possible to hire a punt for a tour.

That seems to be quite fun and offers very nice views! Unfortunately we did not do it: the weather was too crap to enjoy it (even if it was still better than the previous days).

Then we wandered in the town. It is really nice-looking with all the ancient buildings. There are a lot of shops, but mainly major chains that are in every English town.

My summary

• Time spent there : 5 hours
  • Things to do: 7/10
  • How I get there : by car

We parked at the Park and Ride … and for the first time I was disappointed by the system: we waited more than half an hour to catch a bus to come back to the car park, which was very far away from the town center (more than 20mn drive).

Chokk says: