Stonehenge

Amesbury Travel Blog

For the second time being in the area of Salisbury, we chose that time to see Stonehenge. Actually, Stonehenge is not in Salisbury as many brochure say, it is in Amesbury (just a bit further). You can see them from the road, just passing by it, but I preferred to stop to admire them and take some pictures.

I have seen a lot of sites with those kinds of stones now. But I have to admit that this site is impressive! The stones are so huge! They date that over 5000 years old… It is so weird to think about “how” that can be possible. To stand like that, they must have half of the size (even more?) buried in the ground… When you think how heavy and big it is…

It is really exceptional. At the entrance of the site, they write that there is nothing else like it in the world. I have seen the biggest stone of that kind in Brittany (Locmariaquer), but as it is now laid on the ground, it was not so impressive.

I watched the site from “outside”: they put fences so you can only see the Stonehenge from a bit far away, unless you pay to access inside the site.

It is 6.30 £, and I think the audio guide is free and you can have the money back of the car park with the ticket. The entry is free for those who have the British Heritage pass. The more I visit England, the more I think this card could be a very good investment. I don’t know a lot about it, and it is too late for me… However for those who plan a lot of visits there, it might be a good idea to think about it: it gives free access to many interesting places!

My summary

• Time spent there: few minutes
  • Things to do: 9/10
  • How I get there: by car, car park in front of the site (3 £ per car)
Chokk says:
For me Stonehenge is a must that I have to do - this is just amazing. I totally agree with you.
Posted on: Jul 07, 2007