Southampton

Southampton Travel Blog

I was looking for somewhere to go to escape from Basingstoke and I found a brochure I had of Southampton. Described as a vibrant city rich in heritage with the 7th best retail center in the UK, it attracted my attention. As I spent a lot of time in my car yesterday, in addition of walking, I was a bit lazy to go further…

I have to admit that I am very disappointed. I don’t know if we missed something in this city, but it did not get my interest at all!

We first had a look to the WestQuay shopping centre; we parked the car just near it. It is really big, but nothing more than anywhere else as it is again the same top brands!

Then, we walked in the old town and around the medieval walls. It became boring quite fast as, except ancient walls, the view around is not so nice. We stopped at the ruins of the Church of Holyrood, destroyed during World War 2.

There are two speakers to tell the story of the church and of the Titanic, as a monument in memory of the staff is there. It is one of the rare things that caught my attention, with the nice medieval Merchant’s House (closed to visit).

Unfortunately, we wanted to visit the Maritime Museum, but it was already closed.

We finally went shopping in the main street, we were lucky that on Thursdays, shops close a bit later. In the middle of the main street stands the Bargate, a imposing monument from the Normand time. I think it is the “must-see” in Southampton.

I would not recommend this city. Honestly, there are so many pretty places around the south coast I found ten times better than Southampton. Southampton is really a modern city and, according to me, something in the atmosphere to enjoy the “heritage” is missing.

My summary

Time spent there: an afternoon

Things to do: 3/10 (big shopping centre, ancient buildings but most of them in ruins)

Southampton