Oxford Travel Blog

This city was like a dream for so long...

Oxford is very famous for its universities, the most ancient ones in England. They are incredible ! Most of them are in or close to the town centre. Some are open for visitors but can be closed for some events, some are free, or you sometimes have to pay (from 1£ to more than 5£), sometimes you can only see the building, sometimes you can walk in the garden or visit the chapel... Check it before you travel or at the tourist information when you arrive, it always changes!

You can easily travel by bike in Oxford, it seems to be a useful vehicle if I believe in the number of bikes I saw in the streets !

After some universities and college, I visited :

Oxford University Museum of Natural History. The museum is in a pretty building, in a gothic style and presents skeletons of dinosaurs and others stuffed animals.

Pitt-Rivers Museum.
Very surprising, the museum is a collection of objects from everywhere in the world.

Ashmolean Museum. This is the most ancient English museum with works by famous artists such as Raffaello, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Turner, John Constable, Pablo Picasso... And for free! If you love art, you muss not miss it!

The Cathedral. I really enjoyed the tower of the cathedral. It is possible to climb to the top and you have such a pretty vue of the city!

Walks in the town centre. It is really great to walk in Oxford : you can walk for quite a long time without going far away from the town centre, there is so much to see just by watching buildings around. Architecture in Oxford is so impressive! You can also walk in garden or along the Tames!

I regret not to have spent a night there, I guess it is very animated and full of life. Maybe next time!

My summary

• Time spent there : 2 days
  • Things to do: 8/10 (I loved walking in the streets, the atmosphere there is so special)
  • How I get there : by car, Park and Ride (60p for 24 hours, and 2£ return for the bus)
chrisjorg says:
This is a really good blog!
I am currently studying at Oxford and I am yet to see all the locations you photographed. I've put up a few pictures from my stay there (only from Michaelmas term 07) and I will try to put up some more as they arrive.
Really nice pictures ;-)
Posted on: Dec 26, 2007
joelennon says:
Nice blog entry. Oxford is one of the nicest places one can visit. I've never seen so much culture and history in a place its size!
Posted on: May 08, 2007
Radcliffe Square
Radcliffe Square
Pitt Rivers Museum
Pitt Rivers Museum
Oxford University Museum of Natura…
Oxford University Museum of Natur…
photo by: petit_gooroo