Lyndhurst: the "capital" of the New Forest

Lyndhurst Travel Blog

Lyndhurst is known as the “capital” of the New Forest since William the Conqueror (XI th century) established it as a royal hunting ground.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed by this “capital”… I have not visited the New Forest yet (I do not take the risk to get lost there alone!) but according to pictures I have seen and what people told me about, it seems to be fascinating. Lyndhurst is a nice village, but it is not so fascinating…

The old houses, mainly pubs or hotels now, are pretty and just by wandering around, I found the grave of Alice in Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland”.
However, in addition of the fact that the small place is quite touristic because of the New Forest Museum, the traffic is really dense and constant as the main street is the A337, going through the New Forest. It takes away something about the atmosphere and the tranquility of the area.

I did not go to the museum about the New Forest, explaining the development of the forest and what it has to offer. The weather was too nice to go inside!
It is located just near the Tourist Information; actually you have to enter in the museum to access to the Tourist Information. I found the Tourist Information very poor of free leaflet and documentation :(

My summary

• Time spent there: ½ hour
  • Things to do: 3/10 (I did not visit the museum)
  • How I get there: by car, parked it at the Tourist Information for 60p an hour
The grave of Mrs Reginald Hargreav…
The grave of Mrs Reginald Hargrea…
photo by: petit_gooroo