Chilling in Winchester

Winchester Travel Blog

April looked like summer: the weather was so nice, hot and sunny! I took a day to go to Winchester, in the south part of the country, the ancient capital of England until the Norman Conquest.

The city is famous mainly for its magnificent Cathedral and famous people who are buried there, as Jane Austen for instance, a famous English writer who lived and died in Winchester. The visit costs around 5£ (3£ for students). I just walked around it and admired the pretty architecture, as usual. I love just walking in the streets and be in the atmosphere of the towns!

The Itchen river crosses the town centre, it is ideal for nice walks! There are a lot of gardens to find a quiet place. If you climb to the St Gil’s Hill (around 15mn from the town centre), you have a pretty view from above of the town with the castle, the cathedral and the main street.

If Winchester can be a really peaceful place, it has also another personality, depending where you are in the town! Once you are in the town centre, it is really full of life. Starting at the statue of King Alfred (so huge! and I even don't know who he is.

King Alfred from St Gil's Hill
.. shame on me!), you have so many shops (but they are the same brands than in other cities) and so many pubs along the main street and even further! We stopped at the pub 'Bishop on the bridge', there is a very nice terrace just above the river. It was such a perfect time!

Places around the cathedral are also very busy, full of tourists from everywhere. There are cafés where you can sit and stare at the cathedral or the sun!

The other big attraction in the city is at the castle, where is King Arthur’s Table, but I missed it.

We went to the City Museum, a free museum dealing with the history of the city. It can be really fun for kids: there are reconstitutions of ancient objects or clothes and they can play with them!

My summary

·       Time spent there: 1/2 day

·       Things to do: 7/10 (nice walks, pretty cathedral)

·       How I get there: by car, there is a park and ride for 2.60£ per car (if you are 1 or 5 the price is the same!)

Crystal_Tips says:
I live in Winchester, England, and have just seen your review of my home town. I'm glad you had a nice day here, and I wanted to tell you that I think your photos are very good. It made me feel very proud to live here. Hope you get to Sydney next year - it is totally fantstic!
Posted on: Mar 02, 2008
King Alfred from St Gils Hill
King Alfred from St Gil's Hill
From St Gils Hill
From St Gil's Hill
View from the terrace of the Bish…
View from the terrace of the 'Bis…
City Museum