Avebury, where the weirdo is…

Avebury Travel Blog

Avebury Circle

I drove around 45 min on the A4, across the pretty countryside and nice villages (Marlborough for instance), to arrive in Avebury.

Avebury is a tiny village in the heart of Wiltshire, and also in the heart of a circle of prehistoric Henge monuments!

I parked my car at “The Sanctuary”. With such a name, I though it was an interesting place… Actually, it was not because the sanctuary was destroyed. They put blocks and pillars to mark the position of the ancient stones. On the other side of the A4, I saw three small hills (Overton Hill) and a footpath (Ridgeway path) to go to Avebury ... As the car was well parked, why not?

The walk lasts half an hour and is quite nice to see the countryside, lost in the nature! But I did not plan to walk, and it was completely wet, so I have to buy new shoes now!
I met three English walkers and we talked during the entire way, it was great! I was soooo happy when they said that for a French girl I don’t have a big accent when I speak English! I know it is not such a big miracle, I have been there for 8 months it is even normal… but it still makes me happy that I improved it so much!

Once I arrived in Avebury, I first went to the Tourist Information, located inside the chapel! Unfortunately, they told me there that a part of the Henge monuments was closed for two weeks.

Avebury Circle... huge one
There is still two other parts to visit, so I started the tour around the circle!

It is the largest stone circle in Europe, and with a village inside the circle, it is quite amazing. It was really nice to walk there, completely free and not busy at all! In some areas, there are even sheep in the field with the stones. They also become an attraction for tourists: they are so cute!

It is not the first time that I see Henge monuments, we have a lot in Brittany, but it is always weird to see it and think about it…
Here are 2O tonnes of stones built earlier than 2000BC! Why? Who? How? They have been looking for answers for so long, and I think we will never know and be sure about it. Actually, I hope, I love the mystery around it!

There is a museum about it in Avebury: The Great Barn. It costs 4.20£. Some shops are related with the stones, it was nice to see all the Celtic objects (I love them).

Then, I went back to my car.

Avebury Circle
The return was a bit less nice: alone in the rain… Although I met my fan club on the way (cows that stopped eating just to watch me passing…), I just wanted to reach my car as soon as possible!

My next stop was for Silbury Hill. I though, after seeing Overton Hill, it could be almost the same. I was totally wrong: Silbury Hill is huge, 40 meters high! Right in the middle of a plain, a huge man-made mount! Once again, it is the largest one in Europe, and once again, we ignore the purpose of this hill built 2800BC!

In front of it, five minutes walk by feet, I climbed to the West Kennet Long Barrow. It is burial chambers. The access is entirely free!

I stopped my visit at that point. I hesitated to go to Oldbury Castle (a hillfort with an obelisk), but I was cold, hungry and dirty: it was time to go back home!

My summary

• Time spent there : 4 hours
  • Things to do: 8/10 (few people there, great atmosphere and… so fascinating!)
  • How I get there : by car, on the A4
redzzed says:
Why and who ??, its all before recorded history , never mind written history , the stories given out are the 'best guess' that archaelogists can arrive at .Same with Stonehenge .
Posted on: Jan 21, 2008
thelailama says:
nice huge field. i feels like i can get deep breathing there. :)
Posted on: May 21, 2007
-Alex- says:
sounds fantastic - it has always baffled me the 'how, why, who' question overhanging the stones!
Posted on: May 16, 2007
The footpath was wet...!
The footpath was wet...!
The Sanctuary
The Sanctuary
Silbury Hill
Silbury Hill
The West Kennet Long Barrow
Entry of the West Kennet Long Barr…
Entry of the West Kennet Long Bar…
The West Kennet Long Barrow Inside
Another tourist attraction? So cut…
Another tourist attraction? So cu…
The Great Barn