RCL's Private Island

Coco Cay Travel Blog

Coco Cay has no pier so it was necessary to get tender tickets to control the flow of people. I woke early and was in the lobby at 7:30. Dad joined me and and we got in line about 7:40. By the time the desk opened at 8:00, the line wrapped all the way around the Centrum. We got tickets for tender #1. We were scheduled to arrive at Coco Cay by mid-morning but the heavy seas since leaving St. Thomas had slowed us down and we arrived after lunch. We tried to sit by the pool but the weather was lousy and it actually rained a few times. The beach barbecue was cancelled and we had lunch in the dining room. The tender was large and took forever to load but the ride was short. I asked about parasailing and was able to go in the first group. Nine of us went out on the boat and I was the eighth to "fly". What a kick!!! Took off and landed from the aft deck of a small boat and went up on a 400 foot rope. I figured it'd be windy but it wasn't; I could have worn my hat! It was really peaceful up there! Dad met me at the dock when I returned and showed me to our tiny spot on the overcrowded beach. The weather was by now just marginal, the water was cold and the beach was too crowded; not a great way to spend the last day. We shopped a bit at the "marketplace" which was typically Bahamian and headed back to the ship. As always, the final evening was sad but the show was great. The only thing I hate more than packing to go away is packing to return home!
I'll say going in that my mood is affected greatly by the weather and the weather when we were in Coco Cay was lousy! The island is controlled entirely by RCI and ours was the only ship in. Of course the cay is pretty small and, with 2000 people on it, fairly crowded. After we left, I decided I should have walked further and explored more; there were probably some more secluded spots which we missed.
Coco Cay