Sharm el Sheik

Sharm El Sheik Travel Blog

An one hour flight with Egyptair’s domestic carrier Egyptair Express brought us from Cairo to one of the country’s booming beach destinations Sharm El Sheikh. Although I don’t see myself going on a holiday to a destination like this, it was interesting to see what this newly built destination has to offer to clients looking for a standard sun, sea and beach holiday.

We checked-in at the Marriott Sharm El Sheikh Resort (4*), and got some time to relax in our rooms. At 7.30 PM we gathered in the lobby for a barbecue at the beach. From our hotel a long boulevard lead to Sharm El Sheikh’s city center.

Here you can find loads of souvenir shops, bars and clubs.

Although it was still low season the city centre was crowded with mainly British and Russian tourists.

Although the entire trip had been very relaxing already, the fourth day was entitled to relax and enjoy some luxury. With four big yachts we entered the open sea for a day of sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling. During the day we made several stops along the route. We were able to see the Red Sea both above and below the water surface. The beautiful coral and fishes made it a very nice, and indeed relaxing day. Although the four boats were filled with over 100 women, no one had helped me with applying the suncreen, so by the time we arrived back in the harbor my entire body was red like a lobster.

Our fifth and last day in Egypt I just slept late and after a short flight with Egyptair Express to Cairo, and a connecting flight with Swiss via Zurich I got back in Amsterdam in the late evening.

After those 5 days I can conclude that Egypt has much more to offer than regular beach holidays and I am pretty sure I will get back to experience more of this country in the near future.

Finally, I want to thank the entire Dutch Star Alliance crew, the representatives of Egyptair and all other people involved in organizing this unforgettable trip.

384 km (239 miles) traveled