The tough road to a tropical paradise..

Bocas del Toro Travel Blog

Bocas sunrise around 6.30

So after 4 days in Panama city we had undoubtedly seen most of what`s worth seeing in Panama city.  The night bus for Bocas left at 20.30 , and we were on it. OK my Lonely Planet says that we will be robbed by highway bandits if we travel by night, but it seems it is`nt always to be trusted. Anyway there was only this one bus. We were afraid it would be another one of those american school busses , but were pleasantly surprised when saw that it was a supermodern bus with comfy chairs and tv`s (not an advantage considering what they broadcast on it).
As it were they kept playing these really loud spanish sit-coms until midnight when people were trying to sleep , so we had to use our mp3-players at full action to kill the spanish screaming.
What was even more troubling was that the bus was absolutely filled with these small cockroaches that were running everywhere, especially on the windows.

Arriving in Bocas town !
I felt a bit like a prisoner locked in with a million little creeps, but decided to ignore them and try to sleep. I never slept on the trip , partly because I felt them creeping on my foot...

We arrived in Almirante at 06.00 , and took the boat over to Isla de Colon where we had a standard Panamanian breakfast - Sausages in sauce , fried eggs, fried banana and empanadas. Even though its a little different from my average breakfast I really like it , and the coffe is great!
We found a hotel on the oceanfront called Hotel Brisas ,owned by an american. There was a room for 22$ and one for 30$,which was the one we took as it had a really nice ocean view, and AC and showers.
The owner is a real character , and has information about everything that goes on in town.

cool palm

After settling in we went straight for the bus going to the other side of the island to the greatest beach I have had the fortune of seeing this far in my life , Playa del Draco ! You can`t get more of a carribean feeling then this place ! palm trees hanging over the crystal blue waters, the sounds of coconuts hitting the ground mixed with the sounds of the rainforrest....perfect sandy beaches and the feeling of the sun on my body.
We walked to the starfish beach which had a lot of starfishes(surpirse) and slept in the sand to make up for last night without any sleep.
Afterwards we walked back and had "dinner" at the resturant at the beach , I ordered fish creviche. One advice to be taken seriously : don`t order creviche ! it was absolutely horrible , first time I have been unable to eat even a smal part of the nasty stuff ( even though it was a really small portion). It costed 5$ , but I would`nt have ben able to eat it even if someone gave me 20$ for it.... It was basically cold fish with raw onion in a cup filled with very concentrated lemon juice....sounds tempting ??

Well life is good ,and we will keep doing fun stuff the next days and weeks !

vulindlela says:
Wow, those are nice pictures!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009
Gorgeous place
Gorgeous place
My woman on bocas!
My woman on bocas!
Torunn in natural hammcck !
Torunn in natural hammcck !
Me on palm !
Me on palm !
Wading to gt to the perfekt beach !
Wading to gt to the perfekt beach !
sleeping..
sleeping..
in the palms!
in the palms!
cool palms
cool palms
Bocas del Toro Hotels & Accommodations review
This was a charming little hotel right on the waterfront. The price was average for the area , but I think the location was as good as it gets really … read entire review
Bocas del Toro Hotels & Accommodations review
Very kozy little place by the sea..
Hotel Brisas is owned by a very friendly and open american guy who will help you whenever you have a practical question about life in Bocas. The rooms… read entire review