Meeting the ultra amazing animals !

Cahuita Travel Blog

a sloth with broken back, physical theraphy

The day after I was determined to go to the sloths again ! They were the reason why I came here, and why I suffered through 18 hours of sitting on a bus. ..

Getting there was a real hassle, as there`s hardly any busses going. The people working there all recognized me as “the vet” , so that was nice. I even met the sloth vet who was there. She was working with this one amazing sloth that had fallen down from its tree, 35 meters, and had possibly broken its back. He was dragging himself on the ground, but couldn’t really use the back legs…. So he will probably spend the rest of his life in the sanctuary !

Fortunately I missed a tourist group, so I would have my own guide. It started by a video presentation, then the guide took me around to meet the sloth, and learn of their destinies.

pretty girl !
I met many sloths, both 3-clawed and 2-clawed, and learned some new information…like that they have 4 stomachs (like cows) , which was a bit surprising to me.

One of the 3-clawed sloths I met had only one arm, as the other had to be amputated after he fell on a power cord…pretty sad, but he seemed happy now !

Then I met 2 twins(( of different mothers) that was found left on the ground. The thing is that a sloth mother only has milk to support one baby, so if she has twins, she will leave one on the ground….mean, but that’s nature..

I was very happy as I really felt like I connected with these amazing animals. They are just so beautiful and amazingly cute that it`s difficult to even explain. Getting so close to them is unforgettable, looking them in the eyes, and holding their hand is truly something to remember.

she wants to climb me !

I even got to meet the babies, and they were,if possible, even cuter than the adults.

The queen of all of the sloths here is named Buttercup. She was the first one to the sanctuary 17 years ago ! .sloths can actually get up to 30 years old.

She was adorable, and very social. When I was interacting with her, she was really trying to climb me, and hang over my shoulders….which is obviously something I really wanted. But even though I was the only visitor in the park at that moment, the guide would`nt let me do it,. As it is a privilege reserved for the workers there.

I also got a boatride around a river in a tropical rainforest there, which was quite amazing too. I saw more animal in 45 minutes on this ride then I did in 10 hour treks through certain parks. There wher kingfishers, caymans, wild sloths, howler monkeys, iguanas, chameleons, harpy eagle, bats and much more animals there.

In the beginning I had thought that 25$ seemed a bit steep, but it was so worth it ! I am as much of a sloth fan now as I have ever been !

Stigen says:
it is THE place to go, really !
Posted on: Oct 11, 2009
Torunnbeurling says:
I am so jealous!!! I am definitely going there!!!!
Posted on: Oct 11, 2009
a sloth with broken back, physical…
a sloth with broken back, physica…
guiden viser frem skjelett
guiden viser frem skjelett
in his box
in his box
slot skeleton
slot skeleton
me and 2-clawed sloth
me and 2-clawed sloth
they like to be scratched on the s…
they like to be scratched on the …
3-clawed slot
sloth babies sleeping
sloth babies sleeping
beautiful Buttercup !
beautiful Buttercup !
me and Buttercup are friends !
me and Buttercup are friends !
lizzards mating