Corcovado national park -the worlds mos biodiverse place

Sirena Travel Blog

Heavy seas

SO today we had to get up at 5 in the morning because we decided on a fluke yesterday to go on a tour to Corcovado national park. There is hundreds öf national parks in Costa Rica, but this was the one I felt like I really couldn�t miss. National geographic has listed it as the place on this planet with the greatest biodiversity. This simply means that there are more different species of animals here then anywhere else on earth. There is something like 6 times more species of animals in this little forrest then in the entire USA.
Choosing where to go in Costa Rica when we have only like 10 days has been a real challenge, as there is simply just way too much to see and do in this country. The hardest blow was having to skip the sloth sanctuary on the Caribbean coast due to lack of time�that one was one of my main goals.

jungle

I`m quite happy that we got to see Corcovado though, an amazing place.! It took like 1,5 hours on a fast boat from Bahia Drake to get to the Sirena ranger station. The boat trip was just as crazy as yesterday, with 7-8 meter waves along the range of the trip. I`m happy that our captain had some skills, if I was driving I think we`d all be shark food by now. It`s all about hitting the waves right, and avoiding the breaks that occurs sometimes in the middle of the ocean ! At one point we were racing from a wave with this gigantic break right behind us , catching up! Really scary , but we made it to the beach on the national park eventually, and we even saw some whales on the way!

The beach was alive ! Everywhere I stepped there was thousands of little crustaceans running around with their pretty shells as protection from the large world.

'crustaceans feeding
We went straight into the tropical secondary rainforest to discover its teeming wildlife. Since this was still early morning it was bird-looking time , and our guide brought a monster big tripod monocular for watching all the cool birs he spotted , everything from tropical turkeys to eagles and hawks. There is more birds in this park than Europe and USA combined , so pretty cool. The Scarlet macaws are constantly flying around above us , really pretty birds.
We followed the river into the park , but unfortunately didn�t meet any Cayman crocodiles, just a number of reptiles running like crazy on top of the water. In the park we walked around for 5 hours and saw many different animals. Of mammals we found spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys, howler monkeys and big-nosed bats. Unfortunately he couldn�t find the tapirs or sloth, so that was a big disappointment to me, as I was really hoping to see the tapirs in the last place on earth that they are still found in the wild(one certain kind of tapir).

All in all I would recommend going to this park for anyone going to Costa Rica, but save 2 days for a proper hiking through the whole forest with a night at the Sirena ranger station.

Stigen says:
sure was !
Posted on: Sep 24, 2009
montecarlostar says:
Looks like a much better deal than the panaman volcano!
Posted on: Sep 23, 2009