Tulum and Merida

Merida Travel Blog

Izamal, Mexico

From Mahahual we headed to Tulum for a bit of R&R on the beach. We found new accommodation that has just been opened. We managed to get a suite, that admittedly wasn't quite finished, in the centre of town with private bathroom and kitchen for dirt cheap. As we've both visited Tulum before there's not a great deal of gossip to share with you.

We visited Dean at the Pez Maya base and got involved in their boat pushes. The base at Pez Maya is very different to our base. The beach isn't necessarily nicer, but it's bigger and doesn't have noisy fishermen next door! Their huts are pretty terrible and after a tour Tim and I both decided we prefer our base.

It was really good to catch up with Dean and get the gossip on everyone from Mahahual.

Other than that we chilled out on the beach, and did a tiny bit of exercise when we felt fat from all the cocktails we've been drinking. It was good to be in one place for more than a few days again and we felt refreshed and ready to take on the world again after some good food and some much needed sleep.

From Tulum we headed to Merida, which is where I am writing from. We've been here for 4 nights and so far it's been really good. For the first two nights we stayed in Hostel Nomadas, which was pretty poor. It's not that bad compared to some hostels, but when you compare it to where we're staying now it's terrible.

When we arrived in Nomadas, slightly frazzled from a long bus journey, we were handed bedding and told to sort our room out ourselves. I wouldn't have minded if it was dirt cheap, but it was pretty expensive compared to most hostels we've stayed in. There were two female and two male bathrooms to be shared between four dorms and multiple private rooms, which wasn't really sufficient. The staff were pretty rude as well and accused us of not paying for both nights and the refused to give us our key deposit back. Long story short, things got a bit heated but we managed to get the key deposit back and will be writing a bad review on hostel world.
On the other hand, the hostel we are staying in now (Casa Chalia) is amazing. It's cheaper, the rooms have private bathroms which are the cleanest we've stayed in for ages, breakfast is included (and it's amazing breakfast).
Not only that, but for 50 pesos - roughly 3 quid - Rosalinda will cook an amazing dinner and everyone who is staying in the hostel sits around and has dinner together. It has a real family atmosphere and the food is the best we've eaten in a long time. Oh and they have a miniature poodle called Fidel, he's pretty entertaining.

On our first day in Merida we took a bus tour of the town to get our bearings. It was the funniest bus tour I've ever been on because there was pretty much nothing to see on the route it took. We went down one street which had lots of mansions on and the tour guide was telling us that they were "French style mansions, privately owned". We kind of wondered why we were being shown these, I'm pretty sure you can see rich peoples houses all over the world?! We got a bit bored and made our own entertainment by taking stupid photos of each other instead.

I'm not sure how well that went down with the other people on the tour.

The following day we went into Tixcocob, world famous for it's hammocks apparently. We expected a million hammock shops and markets and all sorts, but it seemed to have a black market atmosphere. People approached us in the street "hey, you want a hammock? I have a good hammock!". We visited the three hammock stores though and made our comparisons and Tim managed to buy a very nice hammock which I'm sure he'll enjoy in the sun on Christmas day Down Under. I, on the other hand, decided not to buy a hammock, as the sun shines for 5 minutes a year in England and lying on a soggy hammock isn't very appealing (not bitter at all).

Yesterday we went to the zoo in the morning for something to do. It was terrible and we felt depressed and the poor condition the animals were in, but we went on a kids water ride and the play area which was silly and fun so I'd say it was worth the trip.

In the afternoon we went to Izamal, a town which is yellow. That appears to be the attraction of Izamal, and I have to say it did very well at being yellow. It was pretty actually, but you don't need more than a couple of hours there. We were lucky enough to see a parade to start the celebrations for the day of the dead, then we climbed a pyramid to admire the yellowness. It was good, and amusing but probably because we made it amusing. Some people may just be bored by the yellowness.
In the evening we teamed up with four Brits who are staying in the hostel (it made a change from being surrounded by Aussies) and went to see Sean Miller at a Hacienda nearby. Sean Miller is a house DJ who is "world famous in Toronto".
He is a good DJ actually and the venue was amazing, but there were about 20 people there so it was terrible. We did what most Brits and a token Aussie would do in a socially awkward situation - hit the bar. 45 pesos for a litre of cocktail, enough said really. It explains why this blog entry probably makes no sense, being hung over in extreme heat just isn't advisable.

Tonight is a Halloween party at the hostel, but at 14.00 we're meant to be hitting a bar in town with everyone in the hostel. It's a bar where every beer is served with food, but the more beers you drink the more substantial the food becomes. So apparently after 5 beers you are served steak, free of charge. It's just such a shame that I can't drink beer, I can really think of nothing I'd like to do more than start drinking again at 2 in the afternoon.

From tomorrow the real celebrations for the day of the dead are in full swing, so we're going to check that out in the main square and visit the local markets that come into town for the weekend. Then it's back to Playa for a night with Sam and Chris and then we're off to Cuuubaaaaaaa!!! There aren't many photos from the last week, I didn't want to make you too jealous of our time on the beach. I hear it's getting pretty cold at home now?

Izamal, Mexico
Dia de los Muertos (The Day of the…
Dia de los Muertos (The Day of th…
Bus tour, Merida, Mexico