Grand Turk

Grand Turk Travel Blog

Originally we were slated to visit St. Maarten but due to Tropical Storm Erica we were rerouted to Turks and Caicos.  When I found out our ports had been changed I was super excited.  I had already visited St. Maarten twice and Turks and Caicos would be a new destination for me.  When we pulled up to the island I was rather surprised.  It was nothing like I expected.  The island reminded me a lot of some of the western caribbean ports we've visited.  A vast majority of the island was destroyed by Hurricane Ike in 2008 and the island is still in really bad shape as a result of the storm.  The island doesn't have much to offer aside from it's stunning beaches and snorkeling/diving.  Carnival has built up an area by the port where cruisers can shop, lay out by the pool, enjoy a wave rider or snorkel right next to the ship.  They even placed a cannon and an anchor under the sea which makes for some neat underwater pictures.  The beaches and the chairs are free, which is an added bonus.

As soon as we got off the ship we found a taxi driver who for $20 a person took us on an island tour.  We were able to see the entire island.  There wasn't much to see, but it was still a really cool experience.
The island was full of horses