Sunny Hawkes Bay

Hastings Travel Blog

Making sandcastles
Wednesday saw us heading on our travels once again, this time across to Hastings to spend a few days with middle sister Anna and family. Stopped off at Huka falls (just before Taupo) to swap driving, so that I got to drive route 5 through forests and over hills. Last time I drove this route was a couple of hours after completing the Tongariro Crossing - 8 hours of walking including climbing Ngauruhoe (aka Mount Doom) and falling back down it. Nice to fully remember the drive this time.

Arrived at Anna and Marcus' place in time to meet new nephew Oliver and for niece Lucy to try and remember us. She failed somewhat, calling Sarah 'Linda-Lu' and me 'that boy' for the next day. Our bedroom was the newly (nearly) finished sleep out, which meant a nice quiet morning lie in away from early rising children.
Sandcastles being stomped
Put to work on Thursday though, painting the creche at Anna's church a nice bright blue and outlining a mural in marker pen.

No rest for me on Friday either - spent the morning babysitting Lucy and Olly so that Sarah could take Anna bikini shopping. I managed to survive, taking the kids to the park, getting a few looks from mother's that read as 'I wonder what his story is?', and eating a picnic lunch. Back home to a bottle and nap time - bit of peace and quiet for when the girls returned at half 1. Job done, even if Sarah failed to actually buy a bikini.

Later in the afternoon Marcus took Lucy, Sarah and me to Waimarama beach as it was such a beautiful day. Made sandcastles for Lucy to stomp, paddled in the sea, kicked a beach ball around and generally enjoyed the seaside feeling.
Fish and chips
Fish and chips on the beach for dinner followed by a huge ice cream. Happy times all round. Spent a lot of the rest of the evening in the garage with Marcus' home made coffee bean roaster. Old breadmaker + bowl + convection heater + some Kiwi ingenuity = coffee bean roaster. It even works. And creates good tasting coffee (according to Sarah - I still don't drink it...)

Saturday saw us mixing with the parents at a bbq for the ante-natal group Anna and Marcus were part of for Lucy's birth. Very stereotypical with the dads sitting on chairs drinking beers and the mums feeding the kids. I stuck to chair and beer. Popped into Hastings to pick up a couple of Christmas presents before the drive back to Hamilton. Largely uneventful, retracing our route, but beautiful scenery as ever. Countdown to Christmas now on.

Luke