Bunaken Travel Blog

Bunaken island is situated in Bunaken National Marine Park near Manado in north Sulawesi, Indonesia.The Park ranks amongst the best snorkeling and diving destinations in the world.Here you find a rare combination of marine bio-diversity and crystal clear water with visibility up to 40 meters.The reefs surrounding Bunaken island are often easily accessible from the beaches in particular at Bunaken Cha Cha where there is a "house reef" just meters away of its own  small beach.

The resort provides a pontoon floating on top of the reef where the snorkellers can rest when they get tired.Beware of the currents which can be strong!The pontoon is also a good place to see the dolphins passing by(if they do!we didn't seen any dolphin).

On the drop off,you have the opportunity to see eagle rays,turtles,white and black reef sharks but I have seen none!I have surely to change my mask for a special one adapted to my bad vision!Sometimes dugongs can be seen there.Nevertheless,for me who can't no more dive because of my ears and who have spent last May, 10 snorkeling days in Maldives,I have enjoyed there 100s of different hard and soft corals,reef fish,shrimps,sea cucumbers,nudibranchs(those seen mostly on boat tour which cost 25 Usd).

tj1777 says:
Looks really nice - how good was the visibility?
Posted on: May 11, 2011
mandonanapants says:
Amazing photos!
Posted on: May 04, 2011
bernard69 says:
thx Alex,u did all the work about Torajan people,so I''laze a lot!Sorry for u,but we didn't enjoy salt water in Cha Cha,unfortunately a resort with fan and... AC(everyday fresh water comes from Manado!)
Last year in Gili Trawangan we enjoyed salty water showers but using freh water in a mandi to rinse ourselves:)
Posted on: Oct 30, 2009