YORK!

York Travel Blog

I love York!!!!
York is probably my favourite city throughout the whole Haggis tour.
In the morning, after breakfast, I went to the Haggis office to continue the Haggis tour back to England. Most of the tour-mates went for a ghost walk the previous night. We didnt have any new people hopping but sure some of us hopped off for their Scotland tours. We had 2 new guides/ driver, Fergus and Laura and a brand new blue bus. We set off to Flodden Battle field.
I love medievel warfare, so I had been anticipating the trip to the battlefield. Though the Flodden battle may not be as famous as the battle of Hastings or Agincourt, the place itself was serene with a monument mounted.
Clifford Tower
After we got off the bus, we fought hard against the wind to come to the monument where Laura tried to explained the battle scenarios to us, in loud howling winds. Anyway, using imagination, I began to imagine that I am an English soldier fighting the Scots who were standing right in front me. It was difficult as the wind practically blew everyone unsteady and the battlefield had become a field of green. After the windy encounter at Flodden battle field, we made our way back to England, passing the Angel along our way. Yes, it is that Angel that appeared on the LP books. We passed by the industrial part of England and finally we reached York.
York is a beautiful city when medievel city walls to keep me wow-ed. I went to the Jorvik Centre to experience the Vikings way of life in York during their stay in England.
Though there was a sign that says human remains in the exhibit, I couldnt bring myself to have a second and closer look at the skeleton that lied half-excavated in the soil. I had a brief stay there and went straight to find a bus stop to catch a bus tour. I walked up to Clifford's Tower and it was magnificent. You dont need to be a professional photographer to take wonderful photos of the tower. The clover-leaved shape tower is just built on a small hill, with the green and blue and the grey tower, photo opps are just too hard to resist.
I boarded a bus, what better way to explore a city in 3 hours, to know the histoy and stories behind every famous buildings or people. Along the way, I went to an old factory, saw how people used to watch public hangings before horse-racing, passed the railway museum, past the bar (Gates), barbicans, castle ruins and many many more.
Rose window of York Minster
York is just sooo amazing that 3 hours is definitely not enough.
I got down and went to visit the famous York Minster. There, from the outside, I saw the window with heart...I couldnt remember the names!!...anyway, after York Minster, I started to walk back to the carpark where the blue bus was waiting. The streets were soo confusing that I took me more than 30 minutes to walk back to the bus, and I was horridibly late. I was soo sorry for making everyone wait for me.
Anyway, I really loved York, but we were not staying in York. We travelled to Beverley, where we will be staying in a friar, near Beverley Minster. I wasnt looking forward to staying there, cos 1) it will be the last night of the tour 2) Laura says it is haunted.
Singapore noodle
I dont like to mix around with supernaturals and I really dont like it. But after arriving at the Friar, I must say the building itself was cool. Every step you take probably is heard by another person in the other part of the building. After checking in, I went out to grab dinner. Beverley is a very small town, the fun part is that the famous red telephone booth turned white here. I relaxed at a cafe in M&S, had sandwich and a nice juice. Then I saw Liza and Kean coming to buy their dinner. I joined briefing and we walked around M&S, browsing for food and stuff. Then I saw a food called Singapore noodle. I dont know such a noodle exists, so naturally I got curious. The label says it contains chicken, pork, prawn, curry etc and I thought, that really must taste like Singapore, we just mic everything up, like rojak.
Beverley Friary (haunted)
..haha...It was nice seeing something familiar, yet not so familiar, in an unfamiliar place. Anyway, I went back to have shower first. This was the first time I dont appreciate being alone in the dorm. I had a quick shower and joined the rest downstairs. As there is a curfew at 11pm, most of the people returned early. I learnt a new card game called runny or rumny or something which I associate to mahjong. So as I played the game, I made a mental note to teach all my mahjong-illiterate friends how to play this simplied card game before attempting mahjong.
Flodden Battle monument
View of York City
View of York City
Micklegate bar
Micklegate bar
Bars are gate and gates are street.
Bars are gate and gates are street.
Photogenic Clifford Tower
Photogenic Clifford Tower
Merchants adventure Hall
Merchant's adventure Hall
White, not red, phone box in Bever…
White, not red, phone box in Beve…
For mum