Cresco Cymru

Wales Travel Blog

Chepstow Castle
Welcome to Wales. First stop, Chepstow, a place where you can be in 2 countries at the same time. Monmouthshire in Wales and Herefordshire in England. The highlight in this place is Chepstow castle, and Rab did a great job telling us how the castle and the river act as defence mechanism against the English when the English attack Wales. After Chepstow, we went to Tintern Abbey, a classic ruin of church. Most of us climbed to an abandoned church to get a paranomic view of the Wye valley and the Tintern abey. After which, we went back to England, Hereford where we can see the oldest map in the world. I wanted to see that but couldnt find the Cathedral. So I went to an Old house museum where the lives of a medievel family was brought to life by exhibits and all.
Kilpeck church
Actually, I went into the old house to hide from the rain, but ended up writing a feedback to the museum authority as part of my visit. The rain didnt stop when I was done with the museum, so I took shelter in a butter market nearby. I wanted to buy something but couldnt decide what to buy, so after roaming the market, I went back to the main street. This time I saw a Chinese accuputure shop and thought maybe I can get a foot massage or something so that the sore in my foot can go away. I get a free consultation, and ended up buying a medicine which I am supposed to apply before I sleep. I can only hope that my sore gets better. Had a quick lunch from M&S and off we go to Wales again.
Along the way, we passed the Marches, and I miss my nissan march back home.
An engineering wonder
Anyway, I think the last destination was marvellous. It was an aquaduct built across a valley. Of course, I had a mild fear of heights, even though there was a railing on the right side, the canal of water is on the left, and at the highest point, I didnt even dared to look down. The engineering aspect of the aquaduct was cool. It gave us a lot of photo opportunities of the valley and the aquaduct and the river that runs below it. So, after the walk along that aquaduct, we headed to the farmhouse where we spent the night.
The farmhouse was noisy with colours and animals. I have never been to a farm house before, and I simply loved the place. I saw the fattest chickens I had even seen, the most friendly cat and a very shy ferret. I loved ferrets. The night at the farmhouse was cosy and I took a moment before my dinner to just devour the tranquility and the peacefulness of the place. Only one word to describe my state of mind then, peace. The mixture of white sheeps on green grass stretched over a vast blue covered by grey and white clouds, the quiet is broken only by the trickling of water in a nearby stream and the occasioanlly baa-ing and woof-ing of the animals, it is paradise. Trying to capture as much as I can on my camera, I had dinner and went to bed. I would be doing myself injustice if I dont snuggle up in this cozy farmhouse for an early night.
Wye Valley in Wales