Volcano Trail - Day 8: Isletas de Granada

Granada Travel Blog

Tour boat
Granada was a lovely colonial town, with many newly repainted colonial buildings lining the streets.  I enjoyed a nice meal sitting along the side walk at one of the local restaurants, it was a nice way to feel out the city.  After a relaxing morning, I met the rest of the group for our afternoon tour of the Isletas de Granada.  We met our tour guide Byron and drove over to Puerto Cabana Amarilla to board our boat.  We boarded a small boat for a tour through the small islands scattered around the lake. The islands were believed to have been formed from an eruption from Volcano Mombacho, creating several hundred islands.  The boat ride was nice, it felt like we were cruising on an ocean instead of a lake.  The lake was so large that it almost looked endless.
Local fishing
  The small islands looked really nice.  There were a mix of shacks and mansions on the different islands, along with a few abandoned islands.  I wouldn't mind owning one of these small islands and living here for a while.  Our guide mentioned that they cost around $200,000 USD for an island.  Driving along we came across swarms and swarms of flies hovering around the islands and over the water.  There were moments when it literally rained flies, it was so gross. The goal was to close your eyes and mouth during those moments, my sunglasses came in very handy.

We drove to a small island filled with spider monkeys.  There were about 4 of them swinging around in the trees.  Our guide brought some bananas to attract the monkeys closer to our boat.  The monkeys raced over to grab the bananas out of his hand.  We each were handed a banana and gave it to the monkeys, which was pretty awesome.  After monkey island, we headed over to another island for some drinks.  We enjoyed a nice Tona beer and relaxed on the hammocks before heading back.

Nice island house