Volcano Trail - Day 6: Cerro Negro

Leon Travel Blog

Cerro Negro
We were picked up for Volcano boarding at 8:00AM. Pretty much everyone from the group went on this tour.  We took 2 jeeps and drove toward the Cerro Negro Volcano.  It took about 2 hours to reach the base of the volcano because the road was so bumpy and rough.  We signed in and used their facilities before heading to the trail.  We were all giving wooden boards that looked like old run down snow boards with straps on the front for your feet.  Then he gave us some safety equipment which consisted of goggles, wrist guards, gloves, and knee pads.  We slide the boards between our backpacks and backs and started the hike up the side of the volcano.  The trail had a gradual incline up the volcano, so it wasn't so bad.
Cerro Negro
  We were about half way up the volcano where we dropped off our gear and hiked into the crater.  There was a giant rock that looked like a heart.  We all climbed up and our guide took a bunch of cool pictures for us.  After the group photos, he had us jump of the rock individually for some cool action shots.  Behind the heart rock were some sulfer mounds with steam smoking out of them.  Took some pictures walking through the smoke.  Then our guide decides to hike up one of the larger mounds and jumps off  to take a picture.  Of course, a few of us decide to follow.  It was really hot up there, like putting your hand over a steaming pot of boiling water.  It was really hot, so I didn't have much time to properly gauge my landing.
Hiking into the crater
  I aimed for a spot and ended up falling on my right leg.  I managed to burn and cut my leg at the same time, it looked pretty bad.  After putting some iodine on my cut, we hiked back to our gear and continued up the volcano.  The rest of the hike up the volcano wasn't too bad, except the wind almost knocked me over by pushing up against the board.  We finally reached the top and dropped off our things again.  We hiked over to the edge for a view of the crater and the city of Leon.  It was truly an amazing site.  We took some awesome jumping pictures up there, our guide was really into it.  After the picture fun, we put on all our protective gear and got our boards strapped onto our feet.  It was a really steep slope, it looked like a black diamond to me.
Heart shaped rock
  I started to reconsider my decision to stand up on the board. I managed to muster up enough courage and boarded down the volcano.  Initially, I fell several times on my butt before catching my balance.  My board kept getting stuck underneath all the sand, which caused me to slow down.  I just kept getting stuck until I figured out to put more weight on my back leg.  It was really fun sliding down the side of the volcano, it's definitely an experience.  By the time I reached the bottom, I had so much volcanic rubble stuck in my pants.  I learned that my board didn't have enough polish underneath, that's why I kept getting stuck.  We drove back to the base where we washed up a bit and enjoyed some fresh mangos and drinks.  We drove back to the hotel and everybody took a shower.  There was so much volcanic dusk and rubble stuck everywhere. Most amazing volcano experience so far.

Sulfer smoke