Volcano Trail - Day 16: San Jose

San Jose Travel Blog

San Jose
I met up with our guide for breakfast at the nearby soda. After breakfast we walked around the town for a bit looking for an ATM that had US dollars.  La Fortuna was a pretty small town and can be easily seen in a few hours, most people seem to come to here to check out the Arenal Volcano and the adventure sports they offer.  After a quick stroll around town, I went back to watch some TV before getting a massage at 10:00AM.  I chose the massage, reflexology, and mask for $35 for an hour.  I figured my body deserved a nice massage after all that hard work white water rafting.  The lady that was massaging me put a lot of force into the massage.  At the time it felt great, but I was really sore when I left.  I think the white water rafting combined with the intense massage really beat up my body.
San Jose

We left La Fortuna around 12:00PM and headed toward San Jose for our last night together as a group.  It took about 3 hours to get to San Jose, I slept most of the way.  My first impression of San Jose was that it was a big dirty city.  The entire time we were there people kept telling us to be careful and to watch our belongings.  They also told us not to walk around at night and that it would be a good idea to take a taxi. I feel safer already.

After we dropped our things off at the hotel, a few of us went out on an excursion through the town.  We walked over to the Mercado Nacional de Artesania y Pintura and did a bit of shopping.  There were so many cool arts and crafts at this place.
Awesome wind chimes that I ended up buying before leaving.
  I just browsed around the market trying to look for potential souvenirs.  I didn't buy anything because I was coming back to San Jose in a few week on my way back home to Los Angeles.  There were beautiful handmade jewelry, hammocks, wind chimes, and so much more.  On the way back to the hotel, I noticed that there were a lot of Chinese restaurants and hair salons along the streets.  I was told that there was a large Asian population here in San Jose, that was surprising.

We all walked over to a really nice restaurant near our hotel for our goodbye dinner.  I had a blast on the tour and was going to miss all the people that I've gotten to know.  I don't know how much of the culture I actually absorbed from each of the countries, but I had a lot of fun.  It was kind of like being on a cruise and stopping in each city to do activities, my only job was to follow the leader and have fun.  I think I've seen enough volcanoes to last me a lifetime, surprisingly they were each very different experiences.
San Jose
Awesome wind chimes that I ended u…
Awesome wind chimes that I ended …
Mercado