Volcano Trail - Day 13: Ziplining through the Cloud Forest

Monteverde Travel Blog

All geared up
Woke up and had some traditional Costa Rican breakfast at the hotel before we all headed over to Selvatura Park.  There were a lot of things to do at the park: ziplining, cloud bridges, butterfly sanctuary, frog park, and a few more activities.  I signed up for ziplining and cloud bridges, and I managed to get the student rate of $50.  We all signed waivers and got our gear.  We were fitted for a harness, helmet, and gloves. Then we hiked over to the demo platform where our 3 guides went over the safety guidelines and instructions.  We climbed up a flight of stairs to our first platform.  The first few lines were pretty short, but they gradually got longer and higher.  I think we zipped through 13 lines and swung on a Tarzan swing.
Climbing up to the first platform
  I tried to enjoy the view of the cloud forest while sliding down the lines.  It was beautiful, so green and lush.  Two of the people in our group managed to slam right into the metal railings because they didn't break in time. Then everyone started getting scared and started breaking too early, they started getting stranded a few feet from the platform.  They had to be dragged forward by the guides and pulled up onto the platforms.  It was pretty funny to watch.  The Tarzan swing was probably the best part of the activity.  The initial anticipation and the first drop is the most exhilarating moment.  After a swing or two, they try to stop you by grabbing your legs and hooking a rubber tube around your waist to unhook you from the harness.
  The last cable, which was the longest at about 1.5km long, we rode down in pairs.  Ziplining was tones of fun, I highly recommend it.

After ziplining, a few of us walked over to the cloud bridge entrance.  We walked along the trail through the cloud forest and over 8 suspended tree top walkway bridges.  It was a lovely hike through the forest, allowing you to take in the environment.  The forest was so lush and green, full of life and activity.  I thought it was going to be a lot cloudier and foggy up on the bridges.  We took a couple of cool pictures on the bridges with the amazing view of the forest.  Once we finished walking through the bridges, it started to rain pretty hard.  It was perfect timing as we headed back to the hotel.

Grabbed another delicious arroz con pollo meal down the street for lunch before heading to the market to pick up some crackers. Monteverde is known for their cheeses, so we had planned to have a wine and cheese party tonight at the hotel.  Everyone signed up to bring different food items and I was in charge of crackers.  We ended up with a great selection of cheese and food at our party.  It was fun to try some of the local cheese and hang out with everyone.
Tarzan Swing