Costa Rica on a Shoestring - Day 4: Cahuita

Cahuita Travel Blog

Town of Cahuita
It was raining this morning and we had booked a snorkeling tour the night before that we scheduled for 8:00AM.  I grabbed some breakfast before heading over to Roberto's to meet our guide and pick up our equipment for snorkeling.  It started to rain a little harder, so we all decided that it would be better to wait until 11:00AM and see if the rain would pass.

By 11:00AM the rain had cleared, which was perfect.  We all met back at the boat at 11:00AM and luckily the rain had stopped.  We packed into the boat and headed for the first reef.  The boat ride was pretty crazy.  The waves were pretty big and we drove straight toward them, we got some major air on a few of them.  We saw a cool skipper fish gliding over the water as we passed.
  When we arrived at the first reef, the water was pretty murky from the recent rain and most of the coral in this reef was dead.  I saw several pieces of coral that looked like brain.  I did manage to find a large sea urchin and a few fish swimming around the coral.  We all got back into the boat and moved to the second coral reef.  The boat was extremely rocky with larger waves.  The water level at the second reef was a lot deeper and the waves were much rougher, it kind of sucked.  The clarity was worse and a bunch of people were getting sea sick from the rough waves.  When we got back onto the boat, a few of the passengers threw up and got sea sick.  We quickly moved to the last coral reef spot, which was the best.
  It had a lot more fish and marine animals living in the interesting looking coral.  There were fan like coral swaying back and forth with the waves.  I also followed a couple of schools of fish.  The overall snorkeling tour wasn't great, mainly due to the rain.

We arrived back around 2:00PM and met up with our guide for some lunch at Pizza n' Love.  After lunch, I headed back to Cahuita National Reserve.  I didn't really get a chance to explore the trails yesterday, so I decided to check it out again today.  I only had an hour and a half before the park closed.  The trail was nice, it was full of trees and plants.  I made it to a small river/canal that divided the beach.  There was a man with a small boat that would ferry people across to the other side for a small fee.
  I only had 30 minutes before the park closed so I decided not to cross over.  I found a bench on the beach and enjoyed the view.  The waves were a lot rougher today and the tide was much higher.  It was close to closing time so I started walking back.  On the way back I found a family of monkeys living  in the trees, there were about 4-5 of them.  They were eating wild almonds in the trees and tossing the pits on the floor.  One of the monkeys managed to hit a lady standing under the tree, it was pretty funny.  The park ranger came by and told everyone that the park was closed so I had to leave.

Met up with the group for Happy Hour and dinner.  It was a 2-for-1 Happy Hour special, so we all took full advantage of the deal.  After dinner and drinks, a few of us headed to the local club for some music and dancing.
Cahuita National Reserve trail