Chicken Bus to Tamarindo

Tamarindo Travel Blog

Sideview of the Bus
Woke up early to have some free pancakes at the hostel before we tried to catch the bus to Tamarindo at 8:30AM.  We grabbed a taxi and headed to the bus station.  The taxi driver didn't seem to know where we wanted to go, luckily we ended up at the right place.  When we arrived at the bus station this man just came over and took our things out of the taxi.  Then he carried our bags inside the station and lined up to buy tickets for us.  Then he asks us for a tip.  We tried to tell him that we didn't need his help, but he didn't listen.  Eventually he left empty handed, I was afraid he was going to come back and rob us later for not tipping him.  Luckily, that didn't happen.
Stop along the way to Tamarindo
Don't let anyone take your bags!

When we reached the ticket booth we tried to buy our bus tickets.  Apparently they no longer run a bus to Tamarindo at 8:30AM anymore.  You could clearly see on the bus schedule that they whited out the time.  The guy at the hostel had even confirmed for us that there was a bus scheduled to leave at 8:30AM.  We ended up buying tickets for the bus that left at 11:30AM.  We killed some time by walking through the markets and finding a internet cafe.

The bus ride was pretty nice compared to the one we rode in Nicaragua.  It was an old greyhound bus with pretty comfy seats.  It was pretty hot in there so I kept the window open the entire time.  It took about 6 hours to get to Tamarindo, we arrived around 5:30PM.  We checked into the Botella de Leche hostel for the week.  It was a nice hostel for $10 a night and it was a pretty good distance from the beach.  We dropped off our things and wandered around town looking for some cheap food.  Tamarindo reminded me a little of the Santa Monica Beach. I was looking foward to relaxing here for a week.  I would have liked to stay in one of the resorts along the beach for one day though.

Botella de Leche hostel